Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Previous posts have mentioned Grange Lane Station, Steam trains, Basket Bridge LNER & LMS tracks, the dyke and football pitch.

The two piccie links I offer consist of Grange Lane signal box with double box operated gates taken before the line got downgraded to a single manual gate box.

Grange_Lane_Gates

basket bridge

A steam train plodding up the Blackburn Valley between Grange Lane & Ecclesfield East Stations. You can see the Basket Bridge and the football pitch in the dyke area to the right of the bridge. The LNER (GCR) tracks are on the left and the LMS tracks are on the right. The LMS line can be seen bending to the right towards Woolley Woods.

Hope this conjures up some memories.

Great to see the photos, do you have any more?;

I used to visit the signal box as a child, my uncle ( Alex Smith) worked in the box, There was a "boss" signalman ( I think called Len) and at that time a lady who looked after the gates. Every Friday afternoon all the signal box floors had to be scrubbed and the brass polished ready for an inspection by Mr Licorice who was in charge of the station. At the time this was a busy Branch Line and to the south there was a shunting yard. At one time my uncle was worried for his job because half a dozen wagons had run away from him and ended up in the river!

My Grandfather also worked on the railway, he was a brass fitter by trade but in the late 20's went to the GCR as a wheel tapper. I also have fond memories of the LMS line, waiting for the Thames Clyde Express - down at 3.30 and up-line at 1.30 if it was ever on time! Usually pulled by a Jube or a Black Five. There was also a milk train that went down line at 11.35 pm and occaisionally in the school holidays I'd get my dad to take me to see that.

We train buffs were ( and remain) a sad lot!

I used to go to boys brigade at the chapel. We went on marches around the estate. My bro used to play the bugel. I left after about 6 weeks as i didn`t want to go to sunday school. If you didn`t go you couldn`t go to boys brigade either

For David Price: My sister and I are still struggling to put a face to your name which is so frustrating. The names you mentioned don't mean anything to me. You were involved with the church from 1960 - 1964 but I did national service from Aug 60 - 62 so wouldn't have been around then. I did know Philip Cawood and Philip Rogers very well. It could be that we simply moved in different circles of friends and didn't comminicate directly.Ted Hills

CLOWN: I Was interested to read re: Beck Road Chapel, I did attend but unfortunately was unable to remember which group I was in :huh:

The Aubries kids jogged my memory, if my memory serves me right they were

a large family and lived near to the Chapel, I went through infants and senior

school with one of their daughter's a tall girl with ginger hair, I have forgotton

her name but she must have been one of the oldest children.

Just been thinking of something me and my mate used to get up to on the shiregreen. On Perkyn terrace there was a large green metal box, i think it had something to to with the telephones. We used to climb on top of it and launch ourselves into the nearest privet hedge much to the annoyance of the owner.

For David Price: My sister and I are still struggling to put a face to your name which is so frustrating. The names you mentioned don't mean anything to me. You were involved with the church from 1960 - 1964 but I did national service from Aug 60 - 62 so wouldn't have been around then. I did know Philip Cawood and Philip Rogers very well. It could be that we simply moved in different circles of friends and didn't comminicate directly.Ted Hills

Ted - I missed National Service by a few months - also I was an apprentice at the time I would have gone - but a couple more names to try to get the link - Mr and Mrs Pinder and their son ( Rodger) I think that they lived off Beck Road somewhere, the Steven's family who lived above the church in Bellhouse Road. Finally we went to Philip Rodgers Ordination which I think was in Blackburn ( a bit vague) but around 1962.

David-Thanks for trying. I knew Mr & Mrs Pinder very well yes they did live on Beck Road almost opposite the school, vagely recall the Stevens. I must have been elsewhere when Philip Rogers was ordained maybe doing national service. What about a few more names-Ian White, Roger Storey, Sue Ellis all very much involved in running the youth club. I was involved with the servers of the sanctury as was Philip and how I got to know him. Did you ever go on those crazy midnight hikes into the Derbyshire dales? Eventually something will click and the light will switch on, in the meantime I'll continue to scratch my head. Ted

OK staying in Shiregreen who can remember Anita Gillots hairdrerssers and all the other shops in that area - they were set in a sort of circle, there was a fish & chip shop / green grocers and newsagents and butchers shop. I remeber my Nan taking me shopping and my hair cutting at Anitas.

My Nan lived on Ronksley Road the surname was WATTS