Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Hi Gaye, I do remember the name Fieldhouse. About two houses from them but on Wincobank Ave. were the Bishop's, I went to school with Heather, a long time ago. The grocery shop was Mason's, they had a son & a daughter, Audrey & Basil. They had a front door next to the shop window and I used to watch their cat sit on the wall and lift the door knocker and let it drop several times until someone opened the door to let it in.

I cannot believe that they have built houses on the bank as it was so steep, we used to sledge down the hill, I think that the houses at the bottom were on Firth Park Cres. Re the fish & chip shop at the corner of Bevercoates, do you mean the one with the bay window, I was a friend of thier daughter who also went to Shiregreen School, I cannot remember her name and it bugs me, do you remember it or perhaps Arthur Woolen can. Let me know.

Cheers, Cynthia.

Hi Gaye, I do remember the name Fieldhouse. About two houses from them but on Wincobank Ave. were the Bishop's, I went to school with Heather, a long time ago. The grocery shop was Mason's, they had a son & a daughter, Audrey & Basil. They had a front door next to the shop window and I used to watch their cat sit on the wall and lift the door knocker and let it drop several times until someone opened the door to let it in.

I cannot believe that they have built houses on the bank as it was so steep, we used to sledge down the hill, I think that the houses at the bottom were on Firth Park Cres. Re the fish & chip shop at the corner of Bevercoates, do you mean the one with the bay window, I was a friend of thier daughter who also went to Shiregreen School, I cannot remember her name and it bugs me, do you remember it or perhaps Arthur Woolen can. Let me know.

Cheers, Cynthia.

the bay window chippy was stringers the one across the road was mrs topham

mrs topham used to tell me of if she saw me go in stringers

all the shop keepers knew me and my mates

Thats the one Arthur. Her name was June Stringer. I used to get pieces of fish that had broken off the main pieces, they were free added in the bag of chips. The best chip shop for scollops was the one opposite the Paragon, on Saturdays afte the Penny rush we went across for a penny worth of Scollops, they have never heard of them here, although there are some good fish & chip shops, one in particular run by Chinese with Liverpool accents. When our relatives came over we took them there and they said that they were the best that they had tasted in a long time.

Cheers, Cynthia.

i seem to remember that name heather bishop i might even remember you

then if you come towards the church there was gambles darby i seem to remember a vivian bottom but as you say it was a long time ago i left school in 1944

bye

Aurthur, Our next door neighbours were the Walton's. Harold & Alan were school teachers and they had a sister Mary Walton. Alan was in the army during the war and was in a jeep type vehicle that was blown up, he suffered serious injuries from which he recovered. You must have been in a year above me as I left in 1945.

Aurthur, Our next door neighbours were the Walton's. Harold & Alan were school teachers and they had a sister Mary Walton. Alan was in the army during the war and was in a jeep type vehicle that was blown up, he suffered serious injuries from which he recovered. You must have been in a year above me as I left in 1945.

as i left in 1944 i must have if you lived on the green between winco ave and heather i did not know anybody on that green i knew a few on the greens on either side my memory

is not as used to be

cheers

Yes, that is the 'Green' that we lived on.

Hi Cynthia,

there were a group of residents who joined together called the ' Wincobank Clarion Fellowship ' and I have documents which belonged to them dating from 1909 to 1926, these included names , some addresses, and some info. aboutof the members . Perhaps ypu or any one else reading this may recall some of the families. if so any info. you can give me may help me to trace their descendants as I am trying to find more information about this fellowship.Here are the names

Harold Brookes 82 Primrose Ave, Frederick Brookes 71 Primrose Ave

, Robert Barton, Arthue Bennett, W. Black 65 Primrose Ave, Eric Brookes 71 Primrose Ave, Jonathan Booth 110 Foxglove Rd. Robert Beals, Arthur Burton had a son called Joe, W. Baker Bellhouse Rd, Sydney Bowles, Fred Bingley, Arthur Bleasdale, Fred Bingley, Ernest Clayton wincobank Ave, Richard Cooling, E Cheetham 48 Owler Greave Rd, Thomas Daybell, William Walton Dormand, William Henry Dyson, Horace Dawson 40 Buchanan Rd, Tom Ellis, Fred England, owned a motorcycle !!, Jack Eaton, John Edward, J.Firth, Joseph Fox 35 Catherine Rd, Frank Gillott, Arthur Gilliam, Ernest Goodger 345 Bluebell Rd, james Glrdhill, Albert Hibbert, John h. hawkins, Stanley Holmes, Charles Howe, hary Inman, John E.jordanStanley Jones, Stanley Jones, William Jennison, F. Knowles, Jim Kenworthy 41 Primrose Ave, Francis M Light, Clifford Mosforth, george Miles, Thomas Melling, Duncan Macintyre, Sidney Miles, Edward Miles, John Murray, Walter marshall 384 Earl Marshall Rd, John Murray, John Orr, Robert Padley, Herbert Padley, Henry Poppleton, Albert Patrickson, Evelyn Raynor, Richard Reynolds, George Short, walter Scott, Alfred Short, Andrew Smith 133 Vincent Rd, Tom Tyass, D.Tucker, William Unwin, W.K.Vickers, Alfred Walker, Jervis garside Ward, Albert Wilson, W.H.F.Whitney, G.Willingham Wincobank Ave. George Wills , Billy Wood, Herbert Wilson, Walter Wilson,.

Sorry Gaye, there are only two names that ring a bell. Mrs. Booth, Foxglove Rd was killed when the land mine exploded at the corner of Foxglove & Heather Rd. And Willingham, I cannot remember anything about the family only that there were Willinghams still living in the Wincbank Ave area. WE left Shiregreen in 1946 as my mother bought a grocery shop at the other end of Sheffield.