Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

Hi Donnay.........I check this Shiregreen Forum out every now and then but rarely does anyone go back to my era...the 40s. Makes me feel I'm the only one around....possibly am ... well, me and you...... Hatfield House Lane junior staff I remember ....Miss Base, Miss Scott Miss Copley (headteacher) Miss Butterworth Miss Anderson (I think)....a couple more when I can get the memory into gear. It doesn't function the way it used to.

Responding to Sparkyfred : Assuming I started my schooling at 5 yrs. that would be 1944whilst the war still raged and I'm pretty sure about the tiered floor, maybe there was a major refurbishment to upgrade after I left in '46.

Ted Hills

Responding to Sparkyfred : Assuming I started my schooling at 5 yrs. that would be 1944whilst the war still raged and I'm pretty sure about the tiered floor, maybe there was a major refurbishment to upgrade after I left in '46.

Ted Hills

I'm sure that will have been it Ted. Presumably they will have been made of wood so they probably just ripped the platforms out. I went to a very old fashioned secondary school (Brushes - Firth Park) and even there they only had the tiered flooring in the music classroom.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the fondest of memories of being involved in many of the groups which met at St. J & St. C like scouts, youth club, Sunday School, servers, choir and the mens' working group. What a hive of activity it was. Remember I joined the choir whilst still at school and continued when I started work at Newton Chambers. There were choir practices for the boy trebles led by the choir master Mr. Turner who travelled everywhere by bus and he lived in Ecclesfield. I'm trying to recall one of the choir members who I think was called Malcolm Brothers who had a voice to die for, think he may have been a boy suprano?he was also handsome and was quite a pull with the girls.

Happy days

Ted Hills

Hi Karling, I am sure there are more out there from our generation. I don't know if you have read any of Bryan Woodriff's little books on Shiregreen. He was in my class at H H L J and had some photos in his first book of other classmates.The only teachers name that rang a bell was Miss Scott - fascinating though that they were all "misses" in those days. Another memory I have is of those freezing open corridors in winter!!

Hi Donnay.........I check this Shiregreen Forum out every now and then but rarely does anyone go back to my era...the 40s. Makes me feel I'm the only one around....possibly am ... well, me and you...... Hatfield House Lane junior staff I remember ....Miss Base, Miss Scott Miss Copley (headteacher) Miss Butterworth Miss Anderson (I think)....a couple more when I can get the memory into gear. It doesn't function the way it used to.

I attended Shiregreen School- 1936 to 1945.