Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

... I'm trying to recall one of the choir members who I think was called Malcolm Brothers who had a voice to die for, think he may have been a boy suprano?he was also handsome and was quite a pull with the girls.

Happy days

Ted Hills

Bet he wouldn't have been such a pull with the girls if he'd live in Italy eh Ted :( Didn't they used to castrate the best boy sopranos in those days to keep their voices high? Castratos I think they called them?

Edited by sparkyfred

Does anyone remember Ann Woolhouse she lived in Nether Shire Lane just below the road opposite Godric Rd ( I can't remember it's name) I lived further up on the other side, towards Hartley Brook shops. We went to Hartley Brook Rd school 1945-50approx. I moved away from Shiregreen in 1960.

yer shiregreen is a bit ov a **** tip but iv never ad any trouble there and if shiregreen was such a bad place they wouldnt be a 10 year wait list to move there im tryin my hardest to move back there iv lived there all my life and all my family are there, peterw my grandparent lived at no 1 deep lane i was just wounderin if u remember them mary and alan wilkins xx

Hi legs 49,

I left Beck Road in 1953 having joined in the nursery. Unless you were in the same year the names would be of little use, however if you went to Beck Road Chaple then some names may be useful.

The number of names could be quite large.

my mum and dad live on beck road that chaple got knocked down last month i love dat road

Does anyone remember Ann Woolhouse she lived in Nether Shire Lane just below the road opposite Godric Rd ( I can't remember it's name) I lived further up on the other side, towards Hartley Brook shops. We went to Hartley Brook Rd school 1945-50approx. I moved away from Shiregreen in 1960.
that would be dunning road

i once dated a girl from round about there when i was in the army about 1949 i dont remember her name such a long time ago

Trying once more....Hi Donnay... Yes I do know Bryan and his books on Shiregreen and district, in fact I supplied him with one or two photos including those long school photos. Though we lived not far from one another I was two school years older , so I imagine I saw him as a kid in those days. We were both at Firth Park Grammar school. I met him a year or two ago when he was giving a talk on Shiregreen and I receive his round e-mail at Christmas time. I knew his wife had died not long ago and am sorry to hear his health is not too good.

The list of your class at H.H.L.juniors must have come from Bryan's memory as I tried to find the corresponding list for the form I was in but Sheffield Archives informed me that such lists were not kept during the war years.

By the way, Jean Bratby on your form list has been my wife for the past 40+ years.

Hi Karling -- I'm new to this forum game- getting too long in the tooth perhaps!!! I assume you meant a message for me but I didn't receive any. I don't think Bryan had a complete class list for our class but I know he had a far better memory of names than I had even though I have many memories of our time there. In his first book (which very annoyingly i have misplaced for the moment!) there were several photos of classmates and those triggered recollections of who were in the class. Without the book I can remember three names (funnily all girls) ie North Slack, Velma Furness and Pat Jones. I spent many happy hours at 265, Shiregreen Lane - Bryan had a better Hornby train set than I did (!) and we were both interested in making models. Although we went our seperate ways to different grammar schools and universities I have never lost contact with him. He returned to Shiregreen more often than I did as he had relatives there. I haven't been back since '96 when my Mum died