Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

I started teaching at Shiregreen Middle School in the late seventies.. Kids include Andy Matthews, Gary Fothergill, Rowding Family, Flint Family, Walches etc Teachers were Pete Inman, Bernard Priest, Gwen Marsden, Mike Mahoney, Jim Friar, Dave Hutton etc.

I went to Shiregreen up to 1964 Mr prtest was one of my teachers is he still alive ?

Hi Locket. does not ring any bells, i know its like looking

for neadle in a hay stack. she was blond use to go dancing

at the city hall in the 50s. i think she use to be long to a

youth club in shiregreen. As i said she would be 77- 78 now.

what about downend she had 3 sisters

#269 Shiregreen lane..I had a few schoolmates who lived at your side of the park, on Mason Lathe & Oaksfold and Concord rd..They were Mick and Bryan Mills..Ron and Ray Eagle..Terry Ashton..and The Whitam family..Know any of them??

Does Terry Ashton live in Ecclesfield?

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone live on or near the beginning of Hartley Brook Road in the 60s.

The Huntsman end.

Further up lived the Eddisons, Joan nee Bennett and her husband Bill was an MP or councillor or something.

Hi Joan still lives in the same house but sadly Bill passed away a few years ago:(

My Great Aunty has lived on Hartley Brook Road all her life and is friends with Joan maybe you know her too Jean Ball. I have lived in shiregreen for 38 years attended Hartley Brook School and Firth park.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone remember The Matthews family? Lived at 304 Sicey Avenue, Shiregreen. Lucy and John (Jack) were my grandparents. Lucy worked in the first aid room at Shardlows, John was a tram / bus driver. They had three children. Jack, Elizabeth( Betty) and Gwendoline ( gwen). I'm not sure of the exact date when they moved in, but they were there during WW2 when my grandfather served in the Army overseas. My late mother Gwen was a maid of honour at the local church may queen ceremony when she was about 13 yrs old. Betty married Gordon Dungworth and moved to derby. Jack married Carol Cooper and lived in Killamarsh until he passed away in 1990.

I have many happy memories of visiting my grandparents in Shiregreen from the 1950's until my grandmother passed away in 1978.

I'm attempting to gather as much information, photographs etc as possible to pass on to my children, so would really like to hear from anyone who knew the family. Thanks in anticipation.

hi Denlin, I use to work with bryan mills at brightside foundry heating, IN THE 50S . i know he knew the Sheila iam searching for but i can not remember her second name, Roy

Think you replied to wrong thread I was asking about Terry Ashton - don't know any of above.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived on Ronksley Road and then onto the Crescent We had great fun playing rounders and sledging in the woods in winter. One day we went into Concord Park to pick flowers and came home with armfull of motherdie. Not well received.

We left when I was 15 and never returned but I "googled" and the house looks almost the same but not as neat as when Dad cut the privet.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Joan still lives in the same house but sadly Bill passed away a few years ago:(

My Great Aunty has lived on Hartley Brook Road all her life and is friends with Joan maybe you know her too Jean Ball. I have lived in shiregreen for 38 years attended Hartley Brook School and Firth park.

The name Jean Ball sounds very familiar.

My mum was good friend of Joans at school. Sadly my mum passed away 2 yrs ago so I cant ask her but Im sure Jean Ball was mentioned at some point.

My mum lived next door to Mrs Dearne and Mrs Briggs. My Mums maiden name was Antcliffe.

I also went to Hartley Brook and Firth Park schools.