Did You Live In Shiregreen?

zoboz111

On 08/03/2008 at 21:35, terryob said:

does anyone have any wartime stories, I remember one time the air raid warning siren sounding and crying when my mam dragged my three brothers and me out of bed,she got us dressed and took us downstairs as we got to the back door there was an almighty bang as a bomb dropped in the area my mother screamed and threw us all into the coal house.Does anyone remember the anderson shelters my dad buried ours below ground level and put a stove and some bunks in,it was really cosy. I remember the field near the concrete path there were some trenchs dug out near the bottom ,I wonder if these were made for the home guard, we would play soldiers there.

I have plenty of wartime memories. On the very first night of the war, the sirens sounded. Our Anderson shelter had been delivered but not yet erected. My father made us all lie down in the garden and covered us up with the sheets of corrugated metal until the all clear sounded. No enemy activity anywhere in England. That was the beginning of what was known as the phoney war. On the two main nights of the Sheffield blitz the Germans used hundreds of bombers ( mainly Junkerrs 88 dive bombers ) but also Dorniers and Heinkels,  which dropped hundreds of incendiaries as well as land mines and high explosives.

Thousands of people were made homeless and hundreds were killed or injured. I was in the city centre the following morning and I must admit  I was very scared as everywhere was sill ablaze, gas mains were still exploding and broken glass was underfoot everywhere

Brian Sweeney

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't  live on homestead Road but went to piano lessons at Miss Dyson's for a few years ending in 1953 when l was 14. I believe  the Fletcher 's and McCallisters lived on there one of the Fletcher was in my class at Hartley rook Rd. School.

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Wolleywood Rd. in the 50's They were Harry and Renee Joyce, they had two daughters Rita and Hazel. Rita married a young man who's fatherl owned?  or managed The Huntsman.  My friend went out with a lad who lived on there Derek Burberry, they were engaged for a time but.......

l lived on Nethershire Lane from 1945 to 1960. We overlooked the fields and could see Ebenezer Church and almost to Hulley's ice cream which were on the Barnsley Rd. It was a lovely place to live, we spent hours playing in the fields, jumping the river, sledging down the hill in winter, and sliding down it on card board in summer. What a childhood compared to these days.

• 2 months later...