Vintage Inns vouchers: the small print

Pugg

Beware vouchers issued to customers having Xmas dinner at Vintage Inns; the one currently valid says on the front: '25% off your total bill when you visit us between 2nd-18th January'. We tried to use one today, 13th January, which falls quite clearly within those dates; however, inside, in very small print, are terms and conditions which include the detail that Saturday and Sunday are excluded. The voucher was refused. Would we be correct to suspect that the statement on the front is deliberately misleading?

Before using any voucher, I always make sure I read the full offer, so as not to cause myself embarrassment.

I don't agree with how the small print is sometimes, ridiculously small - even though I have good eyesight.

The type of small print I hate the most is that which runs the full width of the page and is several lines long with no breakdown into paragraphs. I find it very difficult to read and I'm pretty sure I cannot be alone in this which leads me to believe it is done deliberately with forethought and malice to hide some important condition. Any organisation or individual which partakes in this scurrilous activity should be broken upon a wheel in the same way that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were in the metaphorical sense according to William Rees-Mogg in the sixties. Perhaps the worst aspect of small print is that it encourages its author to ramble on somewhat which in turn discourages the reader who then gives up before he or she has reached the part of the text which the author wishes to be hidden. If I was as articulate in my speech as I am ridiculous in my use of the written word I could be a successful contestant on 'Just a Minute' although an astute rival might well have me on deviation. If anyone is still reading or indeed still awake I should be interested in knowing if I have successfully made my point.

Check first before ordering? I was in Pizza Hut tonight using their 'Saints and Sinners' offer. The person waiting described the offer wrong and then forgot to take the discount off the bill.

We were the last people able to get the '50% off' offer. The Manager said they had had 130 vouchers used so far today.

Beware vouchers issued to customers having Xmas dinner at Vintage Inns; the one currently valid says on the front: '25% off your total bill when you visit us between 2nd-18th January'. We tried to use one today, 13th January, which falls quite clearly within those dates; however, inside, in very small print, are terms and conditions which include the detail that Saturday and Sunday are excluded. The voucher was refused. Would we be correct to suspect that the statement on the front is deliberately misleading?

That was a shame.

You can still get a 25% discount which is not limited to January, but does clearly say "Monday to Friday".

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/offer/januarydiscountoffer/

Archived