Cargo 7th Birthday: Tama Sumo, KRL, Tony Lionni @ Hope Works 16/02/13

Cargo

*EARLY BIRDS SOLD OUT WITHIN 24 HOURS*

£10 + bf tickets are available at http://www.cargo-sheffield.com

Tama Sumo (Panorama Bar/Ostgut Ton/Berlin)

KRL (Wolf Music)

Tony Lionni (Freerange/Ostgut Ton)

Mathematics has never been my strong point, but according to the massive black board in my lobby (I have a lobby) which is smattered with furiously scribbled calculations of only the longest division and totally solid algebra, I’m pretty sure this is Cargo’s 7th birthday party. Now, don’t take my word for it. If you’re not a fan of maths, here’s a story as told by Cargo’s own Teddy Ruckspin; James Maplebeck.

“7 years ago myself, a fellow member of the east coast (Grimsby) massive, and the coolest man to step out of Swinton joined forces and made a vow to become the most bad ass minimal techno night in Sheffield. We achieved that on night #1 as we started the ONLY minimal techno night in Sheffield. Fast forward 7 years and our strategy has changed. For a start we don’t just play techno. Some of us had babies. Some of us are still the coolest person to step out of Swinton. Some of us are ‘new’. And some of us have gotten quite into yoga. But however we look at it, one way or another, Cargo has managed mainly by fluke to float on the breeze made famous by Forest Gumps feather and keep going for what seems like eternity. We. Are. 7!

As the saying goes; come one, come all, lets have a massive ****ing party in a Sheffield warehouse with friends, old and new - and some pretty special acts thrown in for good measure. Ah, the small matter of the acts...

We’ll kick off with the queen of the Panorama Bar loooong set. And seeing as though she likes to play for a long time, we said we’d give her a good crack at it. 4 lovely hours of her wonderful goodness. We’ve heard her play across the spectrum of dance music. Whether its disco oddities, 70’s soul, Chicago house or mind melting techno, you can guarantee she only plays music that moves her. When there’s nothing else that matters but being locked in the groove on a heaving dance floor, you need a DJ that can deliver. A ‘DJ’s DJ’. The kind of DJ that makes people that don't dance get down like James Brown. We are proud to complete our 7th year and head into our 8th with the amazingly talented TAMA SUMO. People, get on the floor. Front and centre. You won’t want to miss this.

Next up. KR ****ing L. This chap has been an integral part of one of the most adored house music labels of recent years - Wolf Music. It was clear all those months ago on a hot sweaty boat in Croatia that the lads behind this sound were pretty special. When all you can hear are 200 revved up, canine loving, party animals literally howling in appreciation you know the music associated with WOLF is not something that will come and go with the turn of the tide. I digress, KRL may not have been on that boat - who can seriously remember? But you get my point. As a major contributor to said label (his only source of output for original material, no less), we are very excited to be bringing KRL to Sheffield. Now if I were an accomplished scribe I'd conjour a snappy caption about KRL crying wolf yet not getting violently eaten - but articulating something witty that makes sense at this hour makes my brain bad go. So in short;

KRL. House. Good. Dance. Fun. Etc etc.

Finally; Tony Lionni. Some musicians make deeper than deep music. Trying their darndest to maintain a well and truly sub-zero persona, with a shadowy intrigue built into their creations. That's not quite Tony Lionni’s style. Even Tony’s more restrained tracks seem to blossom into something totally extraordinary. Yet his straight up house bangers, oft found in the record collections of our own residents, still manage to maintain a level of lush decadence. Think sweet multi layered melodies dancing against one another, yet kick like a mule. Tony makes and plays house and techno aimed squarely at moving people both emotionally and otherwise. Highly recommended. Get some.

Tickets! Can’t forget the tickets. Basically they always sell fast for our birthday parties, so don’t mess about if you intend to celebrate with us. Outlets will be available soon, but in the meantime grab them on the Cargo website. At the time of writing this there are 13 early birds left but there won’t be for long!

7 years and not really counting. Love, Cargo.

“It’s your’s”

http://www.cargo-sheffield.com

PAPER TICKET OUTLETS:

Amy Ledger - 07772 741799

Kevin Hailes - 07403288984

Matt Horton - 07852271220

Indeg Sly - 07714 434520

Dan J Towns - 07896 414948

Jake Thompson - 07771 251931

Naomi Charmichael - 07532 247180

Alice Punch - 07833 226959

Sam Harker - 07708 220956

Shops tba.

---------- Post added 24-01-2013 at 16:40 ----------

Online tickets have been flying out for this. If you prefer a physical ticket our sellers will have them on Saturday

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived