Growing up poor. Life on £8 a day.

I see the final edition of "Growing up Poor" is on at 9pm on BBC3.

The lads on show seemed a bit more likeable and all three had some form of escape planned.One was a father,but this seemed less restrictive than was the case for the mother.Potential pregnancy and fewer job opportunities seemed to hamper the girls.

The lads on show seemed a bit more likeable and all three had some form of escape planned.One was a father,but this seemed less restrictive than was the case for the mother.Potential pregnancy and fewer job opportunities seemed to hamper the girls.

I don't hold much hope for Craig in Rotherham he needs to mature and sort his angry issues out first,his two mates appeared more mature then him.The mothers situation won't help though? the other two may do better as they mature,but the London boy having a criminal record is going to be a problem,and it was apparent he didn't feel he would fit in with the others doing the course.Wesley in Birmingham sounded more promising, hopefully will turn out to be a better father then his own did to him by abandoning him when he was a few months old.

The statistics mentioned in the programme,with regard to unemployment in the areas were they lived,sounded so bleak.

Why you consider they were more likeable then the girls isn't quite clear.

I don't hold much hope for Craig in Rotherham he needs to mature and sort his angry issues out first,his two mates appeared more mature then him.The mothers situation won't help though? the other two may do better as they mature,but the London boy having a criminal record is going to be a problem,and it was apparent he didn't feel he would fit in with the others doing the course.Wesley in Birmingham sounded more promising, hopefully will turn out to be a better father then his own did to him by abandoning him when he was a few months old.

The statistics mentioned in the programme,with regard to unemployment in the areas were they lived,sounded so bleak.

Why you consider they were more likeable then the girls isn't quite clear.

I cannot explain why I thought they were more likeable as it is based on my personal preference.I cannot understand why you like Dire Sraits and Dale Winton.

I don't think the criminal record will cause many problems to be honest, as long as he doesn't add to it. Most employers don't seem to have much of a problem. Even when you do an enhanced CRB check and work with vulnerable people (as long as you declare everything).

Shame there isn't any welding work for Craig! And whilst the army may be a route out, it probably ain't the best one, as his mate Chink said, you could be dead before long. And the pay is pretty poor.

Basically that's life - and work (what little there is out there) ain't really much of a route to prosperity. And blokes can't get pregnant and claim tax credits!

I don't think the criminal record will cause many problems to be honest, as long as he doesn't add to it. Most employers don't seem to have much of a problem. Even when you do an enhanced CRB check and work with vulnerable people (as long as you declare everything).

Shame there isn't any welding work for Craig! And whilst the army may be a route out, it probably ain't the best one, as his mate Chink said, you could be dead before long. And the pay is pretty poor.

Basically that's life - and work (what little there is out there) ain't really much of a route to prosperity. And blokes can't get pregnant and claim tax credits!

All of them,including the girls seemed to come from broken homes although having a more stable family life doesn't guarantee you won't have problems.They're were a bundle of issues that contributed to their prediction,and considering all that you couldn't help feeling for them.

As others have pointed out some people are stronger then others and with the right attitude and some support are able to rise above their disadvantages.

Problems in Society in general havn't done much to to help the young people who are like them,i don't know what the answer is or who is to blame ie political injustice, failures in the education system or what? but they're are too many young ones in the same position and worse,with many having no aspirations and just living for today.

The lad from London had a very strange accent, nothing like my Londoner in laws. :huh: However, he did well taking on the job which not everyone would be prepared to do, and he was prepared to search outside his comfort zone. He obviously had the nous to recognise you have to go to the jobs, they don't come to you. Hopefully he'll finish his course and find paid work.

I thought Wes was pretty switched on, although how switched on is it to have a child at such a young age with no money, and when you're not in a stable relationship? He seemed to be pretty intelligent and he was articulate. I hope he finds work.

The army may be good for Craig. Even if his mother had to take steps to sort out her life which wasn't helping him, I didn't like the way he spoke to her, every second word was swearing.

But, just like the girls, even where family was around, there didn't seem to have been much aspiration or real encouragement for the young people to try and better themselves.

The lad from London had a very strange accent, nothing like my Londoner in laws. :huh: However, he did well taking on the job which not everyone would be prepared to do, and he was prepared to search outside his comfort zone. He obviously had the nous to recognise you have to go to the jobs, they don't come to you. Hopefully he'll finish his course and find paid work.

I thought Wes was pretty switched on, although how switched on is it to have a child at such a young age with no money, and when you're not in a stable relationship? He seemed to be pretty intelligent and he was articulate. I hope he finds work.

The army may be good for Craig. Even if his mother had to take steps to sort out her life which wasn't helping him, I didn't like the way he spoke to her, every second word was swearing.

But, just like the girls, even where family was around, there didn't seem to have been much aspiration or real encouragement for the young people to try and better themselves.

Yes i noticed the London boy didn't speak with a London accent,it was more like a British/Jamaican accent that you hear from a lot of young people now.I think its a trend among a lot of them.

Craig did swear a lot,i may be wrong but i had a feeling he had picked a lot of that up from his mother,she didn't pull him up for it at the time,but off camera i suspect the air would have been blue later.

Archived