Growing up poor. Life on £8 a day.

Funnily enough i attended school with roughly 300 students in my year alone, only 1 happened to get pregnant at 17 that was ME! I continued in my education and now have a respectable job working with medicines. I do not and have never claimed benefits eg unemployment, housing etc however i do get child benefit that goes straight into my childs trust fund and i do not spend a penny of it. I also do not receive tax credits as we earn too much so nobody bar me pays for my child. I did not get offered a flat or council house, i private rented paid fully by my wages not benefits and now im a home owner.

Seems 'todays society' does not need tarring with the same brush!

Not meaning to tar society with the same brush but you are very much an exception to the rule. For that I genuinely applaud you.

Sadly, the vast majority of underage mothers are from certain areas of society and, due to the provision of benefits at the drop of a hat, they consider pregnancy a way into a flat of their own and benefits for life.

This isn't good for the children and will inevitably lead them into the same 'circle of life'.

Sadly, the vast majority of underage mothers are from certain areas of society and, due to the provision of benefits at the drop of a hat, they consider pregnancy a way into a flat of their own and benefits for life.

I didn't know Iain Duncan Smith was a SF member?

Does this tv doc explain why these "poor people" are not doing some full time education to try to better their chances of getting a job.

Does it explain why they are not doing some part time vocational or skills training to try to better their chances of getting a job.

Does it explain why they are sooo poor and have such a problem to survive when assumingly they are or certainly could mostly be living at home with their parents. How many necessary outgoings does a 16-18 year old REALLY HAVE. Lets not forget those who choose to continue education are still entitled to subsidised or free travel, subsidised or free course fees and finacial support for equipment/books/clothing required.

Does it explain what they have been doing all this time sat on the dole. How many jobs they have actually bothered to apply for. How many interviews they have actually bothered to attend. How many job agencies, temporary work roles or other sources they have used to try and seek work.

Assumingly, in the first example, she must have been sat on the dole long enough to be forced onto a six month work placement. That does not happen to those who have been on for a few weeks does it???? What effort have they REALLY been putting in.

Im not buying it. This is not the life of "young people" today. Plenty leave school, go into further education and/or get a job in the working world.

These examples are just SOME people who "claim" they are having a hard time. Less time messing around with the tv crew... more jobseeking would help them.

Litter picking is the obvious one but there are many other things they could be doing.

If there is as much litter out there, as there is as much rubbish you spout, then there is enough work for everyone..inc you. Ironically you'd be the source and eradication of all unemployment.

Keep up the good work.

Not meaning to tar society with the same brush but you are very much an exception to the rule. For that I genuinely applaud you.

Sadly, the vast majority of( underage) mothers are from certain (elevated) areas of society and, due to the provision of benefits at the drop of a hat, they consider pregnancy a way into a flat or mansion of their own and benefits for life.

This isn't good for the children and will inevitably lead them into the same 'circle of life'.

Here we go -another person knocking the Duchess of Westminster.

Are you an OAP,as my mum is not in receipt of the CTB etc,which you allege.

No. However £26.50 in the mid eighties adjusted for inflation is more than £56.25 today.

As per gym rat's earlier post.

OAPs with an income below £142.70 get topped up to this amount and are entitled to full council tax benefit.

You mum either has an income well above £142.70 a week (more than £20 a day), or is not claiming a benefit she is entitled to.

Does this tv doc explain why these "poor people" are not doing some full time education to try to better their chances of getting a job.

Does it explain why they are not doing some part time vocational or skills training to try to better their chances of getting a job.

Does it explain why they are sooo poor and have such a problem to survive when assumingly they are or certainly could mostly be living at home with their parents. How many necessary outgoings does a 16-18 year old REALLY HAVE. Lets not forget those who choose to continue education are still entitled to subsidised or free travel, subsidised or free course fees and finacial support for equipment/books/clothing required.

Does it explain what they have been doing all this time sat on the dole. How many jobs they have actually bothered to apply for. How many interviews they have actually bothered to attend. How many job agencies, temporary work roles or other sources they have used to try and seek work.

Assumingly, in the first example, she must have been sat on the dole long enough to be forced onto a six month work placement. That does not happen to those who have been on for a few weeks does it???? What effort have they REALLY been putting in.

Im not buying it. This is not the life of "young people" today. Plenty leave school, go into further education and/or get a job in the working world.

These examples are just SOME people who "claim" they are having a hard time. Less time messing around with the tv crew... more jobseeking would help them.

This is pretty much what I was thinking! I think people forget that these problems start before they have even left school...they all have the opportunity to get a free education, but many don't and end up with no qualifications and no prospects.

I know that qualifications don't necessarily equal a job but if you put in the hard work right from the start it's better than nothing. My qualifications weren't good enough to enter higher education so I went down the apprenticeship route (and I had to compete with 100 other applicants to even get an interview) and have been working full time since the age of 16.

Archived