Growing up poor. Life on £8 a day.

This is pretty much what I was thinking! I think people forget that these problems start before they have even left school...they all have the opportunity to get a free education, but many don't and end up with no qualifications and no prospects.

I know that qualifications don't necessarily equal a job but if you put in the hard work right from the start it's better than nothing. My qualifications weren't good enough to enter higher education so I went down the apprenticeship route (and I had to compete with 100 other applicants to even get an interview) and have been working full time since the age of 16.

You may not have acquired the best qualifications on paper but you clearly gained a good attitude,excellent manners and presumably good interpersonal skills,which are often more highly valued .

I doubt anyone can drink cider and smoke weed "all day" on £8, unless they are proper lightweight.

They can if they grow their own dope........... as many now do ,as the deterrent for cultivating drugs is non existent.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 20:52 ----------

Not casting aspersions but a lot of people on this forum as a whole, seem to know the price of weed or pot or what ever they call it. Strange thing though, once again the thread starts off about kids living on £8.00 per day, and then goes to castigating smokers.

I smoke ,but even i castigate dope smokers.

Well I have now just flicked through the first doc and I have pretty much answered my own points.

Nothing to do with actually getting a job.

59 minutes full of oh woe in me crap about my baby, "fags are my only luxury", how can I buy food, having to live downstairs with my newly bred sprog cos the house is full init.

Lesson in life. Keep your legs shut. That film was almost embarrasing for the age group its supposed to be targetted at.

If you are unlucky enough to fall pregnant, take responsibility for your life and sort it out. Get a job, get things sorting out properly between you and the father, do some home education, get some training part time.... anything to sort your life out. Plenty of people used to do it and plenty of people still do it. Having a baby is a expense and responsbility for all parents. Funny how they dont ALL sit there on the state being spoon fed by our taxes. Its a disgrace.

If the state stopped all this freebie handout just for being dumb enough to get pregnant it might make people think more. Its just all too easy.

I dont think I will bother watching to the thicko boys episode. I dont want to hear the same crap all over again. Funny how both sexes appear to have enough for gaudy jewelry, piercings and tacky faux designer labels.

I will give people sympathy when they actually show they are DOING something about their situation.

They can if they grow their own dope........... as many now do ,as the deterrent for cultivating drugs is non existent.

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 20:52 ----------

I smoke ,but even i castigate dope smokers.

Do you still go to the Canaries to stock up on snout?

Well I have now just flicked through the first doc and I have pretty much answered my own points.

Nothing to do with actually getting a job.

59 minutes full of oh woe in me crap about my baby, "fags are my only luxury", how can I buy food, having to live downstairs with my newly bred sprog cos the house is full init.

Lesson in life. Keep your legs shut. That film was almost embarrasing for the age group its supposed to be targetted at.

If you are unlucky enough to fall pregnant, take responsibility for your life and sort it out. Get a job, get things sorting out properly between you and the father, do some home education, get some training part time.... anything to sort your life out. Plenty of people used to do it and plenty of people still do it. Having a baby is a expense and responsbility for all parents. Funny how they dont ALL sit there on the state being spoon fed by our taxes. Its a disgrace.

If the state stopped all this freebie handout just for being dumb enough to get pregnant it might make people think more. Its just all too easy.

I dont think I will bother watching to the thicko boys episode. I dont want to hear the same crap all over again. Funny how both sexes appear to have enough for gaudy jewelry, piercings and tacky faux designer labels.

I will give people sympathy when they actually show they are DOING something about their situation.

Did you not see the girl who was working 30 hour a week for £56.25 a week for 6 month that then got laid off????

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 21:00 ----------

its means tested mate, I copy and pasted a whole page full of official guff that made mincemeat of that claim - then couldnt be bothered to post it

You can't rubbish my claim...

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 21:01 ----------

at the time, it was the same or as similar to the figure your quoting today as makes no difference.

It was more then, inflation adjusted, than it is today.

Did you not see the girl who was working 30 hour a week for £56.25 a week for 6 month that then got laid off????

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 21:00 ----------

should she have had a job for life then? some sort of reward for simply doing what damm near everyone else in the world has done when young?

start with - "all pensioners get CTB" when they don`t and work your way back,

It was more then, inflation adjusted, than it is today.

in real terms it wasn`t, you didn`t get anymore of anything else for less money at the time.

Yes I did. And maybe - as she said in the documentary - if she was not "sleeping all day" like a "beached whale" and actually got off her a*se and properly looked for a job during her previous 12 months on the dole she might not have been put on the forced work placement.

You think I am going to give sympathy to that?

Like I say, its about taking responsbility for your situation. Nobody LIKES having to work but you grow up and get on with it.

Archived