Insurance is legalised robbery.

I don't think there's much difference with insurance regardless of which country you're in. They always look for ways of not paying out and the services tend to have a tipping point where the amount you pay is substantially greater than they payout. e.g. over 50s insurance etc. The object of their businesses is to create profit, not give money away.

Insurance is legalised robbery.

Contrary view: your house has burnt down; or you've just been hit by a car; or you've just knocked a cyclist off a bicycle.

Now you face a large financial loss. Without insurance, how will you pay?

Indeed, I've never had a problem and have been grateful to have had insurance when misfortune has struck.

Car insurance ain't cheap, but I get the feeling some people haven't a clue how to haggle, or don't even bother. Every single year I have managed to get a cheaper or matched policy.

When it comes to renewal, even if you haven't had a cheaper quote, make one up (make it sound realistic and don't round your numbers), and ask different companies to beat it. It takes some ringing around, but eventually you should be able to at least match your current policy. Obviously this won't apply to drivers who have claimed or got points over the year.

Archived