HMV to announce administration tomorrow

Latest news:

MP Accuses HMV of Theft Over Gift Voucher Sales

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/mp-accuses-hmv-of-theft-over-gift-voucher-sales/

Its a bit rich coming from an MP, but still he has a point.

It's seems obvious to me that the management of HMV must have had some doubts as to the going concern of HMV in December when gift vouchers were being sold.

Edit. Just read the article where it states:

"HMV probably covered its arse enough in a pre-Christmas trading statement, though, in which it said there was “significant doubt on the group’s ability to continue as a going concern,” but it’s hardly fair to expect the grandparents of the nation to read company financial statements before popping down to the shops to buy some gift vouchers for their kids.

I'm quite flabberghasted that they continued to sell gift vouchers.

So you would rather no game shops? I had downloads and online! I prefer shopping.

I would rather buy from places that don't rip you off, and do stupid stuff.

Playtime beats Game in all areas, pricing, staff, service. Then there is amazon which I buy most of my new games from.

The second hand market will be dead by next gen, so unfortunately half of playtime's business model will also be dead. They will just have to sell mostly retro games like wizz kids at woodseats.

It's seems obvious to me that the management of HMV must have had some doubts as to the going concern of HMV in December when gift vouchers were being sold.

Edit. Just read the article where it states:

"HMV probably covered its arse enough in a pre-Christmas trading statement, though, in which it said there was “significant doubt on the group’s ability to continue as a going concern,” but it’s hardly fair to expect the grandparents of the nation to read company financial statements before popping down to the shops to buy some gift vouchers for their kids.

I'm quite flabbergasted people still buy them...not just HMV's but any gift vouchers...

Really, quisquose? Come on, this is corporate, high-street chain Britain we're talking about :rolleyes:;)

Comet had been on much more visible rocks than HMV on the run-up to their admin, and it's not as if the media did not make any noise about their gift vouchers, that were not to be honoured as soon when they went into admin (same as HMV now). Comet promptly back-pedalled about it, 2 days later, in the face of public backlash. This was all 03-06 November 2012. There were even some threads on SF about it, IIRC.

So...

I'm quite flabbergasted people still buy them...not just HMV's but any gift vouchers...
...yeah. Pretty much that. If Comet did not teach a valuable lesson (for those who needed it), I don't what would.

As I understand their legal 'make-up', gift vouchers are nothing more than a glorified IOU with so much small print as to amount to, effectively, an unenforceable contract (as in, unenforceable by the bearer) - pretty much the reason why HMV is perfectly entitled (at law, not in equity) to pee on them now.

The only missing development now is HMV's back-pedalling on the vouchers due to public backlash, probably in a day or two. Then again, that might not happen this time (not that I have any such vouchers anyway - only stuff I've bought from HMV in past 5 years were a couple of BD players in their sale).

Me too, and I never have and never will (except when my wife has told me too :roll: ). A nice crisp £20 note is much better.

There was a thread started by somebody who complained that her Meadowhall gift voucher had expired, and most of the posts were an attack on her for not reading the small print, but I had some sympathy for her.

Just give cash. If you stick it in a drawer and forget about it, or there's just nothing you want to buy, it's still worth something if you find it later.

Always treat gift vouchers like the company could go bust tomorrow, so don't buy them.

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 15:29 ----------

Really, quisquose? Come on, this is corporate, high-street chain Britain we're talking about :rolleyes:;)

Comet had been on much more visible rocks than HMV on the run-up to their admin, and it's not as if the media did not make any noise about their gift vouchers, that were not to be honoured as soon when they went into admin (same as HMV now). Comet promptly back-pedalled about it, 2 days later, in the face of public backlash. This was all 03-06 November 2012. There were even some threads on SF about it, IIRC.

So...

...yeah. Pretty much that. If Comet did not teach a valuable lesson (for those who needed it), I don't what would.

As I understand their legal 'make-up', gift vouchers are nothing more than a glorified IOU with so much small print as to amount to, effectively, an unenforceable contract (as in, unenforceable by the bearer) - pretty much the reason why HMV is perfectly entitled (at law, not in equity) to pee on them now.

The only missing development now is HMV's back-pedalling on the vouchers due to public backlash, probably in a day or two. Then again, that might not happen this time (not that I have any such vouchers anyway - only stuff I've bought from HMV in past 5 years were a couple of BD players in their sale).

In response to the bolded bit, I would imagine that this is very much a grey area.

Accepting cash for the promise of goods, whilst having a good idea that the company will go bust before the goods are delivered, is fraudulent trading which can drag the directors into personally.

The defense that they had already made a statement that "significant doubt on the group’s ability to continue as a going concern" seems a bit shaky to me.

I expect HMV to eventually honour the gift vouchers, just as Comet did, but I suspect it will be threats of personal liability rather than public opinion that will sway their decision.

Archived