HMV to announce administration tomorrow

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd not heard of Record Collector before. I have a day off tomorrow so I might just take a trip up there and have a look :)

Just up the hill from you.

If it is music you are after, you're in for a treat:)

Nip in the York afterwards, for a pint.

Just up the hill from you.

If it is music you are after, you're in for a treat:)

Nip in the York afterwards, for a pint.

I like a bit of everything so I'm sure I'll find something I'll enjoy :)

I've just looked at where it is and I must have passed it many times without even noticing it's there. If it's close to good beer as well then all the better for it!

I saw a post on another site that said the HMV felt more like a badly organised jumble sale recently.

That pretty much describes the Meadowhall one - it felt like a shop full of stuff they were desperate to get rid of, rather than music they cared about selling.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 07:15 ----------

Barry Everard of Record Collector will be happy, but then again sometimes it's better to have weak competition than no competition.

I guess its a bad sign for smaller shops (who have been closing for years) - when even the main seller can't survive, it doesn't look good for those that are left.

And its up to the buying public what businesses are successful. Surely the downfall of CDs has been the increase in online downloads?

I think the downfall is largely due to HMV not being able to compete with online stores like Amazon due to the fact that they paid their taxes, which made their products more expensive. Watch Amazon start to creep their prices upwards now that they basically have market dominance.

When you can download music and films for free on the internet , why would people buy it from places like HMV.? The Internet is a world of free music and free movies, That just the way it is.

Isn't that piracy?

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 07:33 ----------

HMV launch a 25% sale http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20973135. Actually, it's a 25% off their prices and not sale prices of 25%

You could buy vinyl in the 80s but would struggle to buy them now (other than niche markets). Same kind of story really - CD is all but dead now. They are expensive and you have to then transfer them to another format if you want to listen to them on a portable device - ain't nobody got time for that!

Archived