HMV to announce administration tomorrow

Play.com has actually ceased their direct sales business.

because the tax loophole they used to offer such low prices has been closed.

Pity HMV couldn't hold out any longer, as they will now be abit more competitive with play closed and prices on Amazon going to increase.

To be fair tho HMV has been going down the toilet for years, mainly because they didn't embrace the internet and stubbornly tried to carry on.

I mean you still can't download music on their site.

A music retail business that doesn't have a proper online arm?!?! What sort of idiots run this place????

Here is Jessops, one of the longest and best loved camera retailers going and have been forced to cease trading, what a shame as thier prices we always very competitive.

http://www.jessops.com/

Here is HMV, another example of the Internet ruling the roost, I remember when there were Hillsborough Records, Our Price, Virgin Megastore and Andy's Records, now there is nothing on the high street or in shopping centres, the only decent shop left now is the discount That's Entertainment shop in Crystal Peaks and CeX shop in town, but they sell used faulty CDs and DVDs and not the place to get brand new older stuff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/15/hmv-administrators-4500-jobs-at-risk

I suggest you all use your remaining vouchers as soon as possible if they are both still taking them.

To be fair, HMV had become almost worthless as a browsing spot for CD enthusiasts.

I share your nerdiness and I prefer CD to download. Nip up to Record Collector in Broomhill. I'm sure that they can satisfy your need to browse. Just bring plenty of time and a fair amount of cash:)

This is the point. HMV's collection is mainly of modern stuff that can be downloaded - yet they don't have a download store. Their back catalog is of stuff that mostly people don't want... in other words they failed to see how the market was moving.

Record Collector has been in Broomhill for many decades, and it sell stuff that isn't up for download, but it is stuff that people want - they understand the market and cater directly to it. I've bought loads of vinyl and CD's from them, all things that you cannot find eslewhere at eminently reasonable prices. There used to be another similar store in Mansfield in Four Seasons called Revolver, dunno if that's till there, but this is how high street music and entertainment retailing is going to survive - not through huge glizty stores like HMV etc.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 11:33 ----------

Here is Jessops, one of the longest and best loved camera retailers going and have been forced to cease trading, what a shame as thier prices we always very competitive.

No they were not - that's the main reason they went bust. If I can buy gear cheaper from an independant than from Jessops, there is no way Jessops would survive.

HMV set to go into administration

HMV expected to call in administrators within hours

Clearly the government needs to call off its austerity program so that we can all afford that extra X-Box 360 game or a pair of Dr Dre headphones (Made in China).

Or it could just be part of a long-term decline in the High Street?

I've been reading on twitter all the labour lot saying its down to austerity and the coaltion. Its not its simply that people have found cheaper easier ways of getting their products than HMV. I use Amazon they are much better.

Its not a surprise about HMV its been on the cards for at least a few years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16246029

Its just the rise of the online thats doing it.

Perhaps HMV should have evolved.....the download market is HUGE.....did HMV keep up....No.

Also WHY would I want to schlepp into town to look to see if HMV has a CD/DVD I want....to be served by staff who can't be bothered....only to find what I want on sale at top dollar.

No....instead I will sit on my fat **** and type in Amazon/E-Bay/..or some such other online shop....and buy what I want, to be delivered direct to me, for a lot less than HMV.

So it's hardly surprising that they have gone into administration......is it!

HMV set to go into administration

HMV expected to call in administrators within hours

Clearly the government needs to call off its austerity program so that we can all afford that extra X-Box 360 game or a pair of Dr Dre headphones (Made in China).

Or it could just be part of a long-term decline in the High Street?

Don't HMV sell CDs and stuff that folk now download and other stuff that folk now buy online.

A doomed business that didn't adapt.

The austerity measures did not cause the decline in the High Street. That started the moment we started buying online.

Perhaps HMV should have evolved.....the download market is HUGE.....did HMV keep up....No.

I mentioned this on another thread last week - the High Street needs to evolve.

The internet is here to stay so shops are going to have to do what they can to compete or die.

But there needs to be less emphasis on councils to try and force these vacant shops to be refilled. They'll only fail again if their business model can't compete.

So why bother? I saw on the news today that Altrincham has put a new hospital on their high street, demolishing redundant and unused shops.

Archived