HMV to announce administration tomorrow

So, what do you make of people listening to music on their wireless for the past, oh, 10 decades or so? ;)

As I understand it, record produces were paid loyalties everytime specific records were played or they were contractual. If was an offence to record stuff onto tape decks

So, what do you make of people listening to music on their wireless for the past, oh, 10 decades or so? ;)

before the invention of tv, you had a radio licence

following the introduction of tv the licence covered both forms of broadcasting

i seem to recall that about £6 of the licence fee goes to radio, but i could be wrong

radio stations which play music have to pay fees for doing so (royalties) which are distributed amongst the various parties involved (writers, publishers, singers etc)

As I understand it, record produces were paid loyalties everytime specific records were played or they were contractual. If was an offence to record stuff onto tape decks
It has never been an offense to "record stuff onto tape decks". Not before the 1956 Copyright Act, nor since the CDPA 1988, nor in-between. Provided of course such recordings were made for personal use.

That said, we were talking about listening (radios and their modern-day equivalent, web streams per Spotify/Deezer), not recording.

before the invention of tv, you had a radio licence

following the introduction of tv the licence covered both forms of broadcasting

i seem to recall that about £6 of the licence fee goes to radio, but i could be wrong

radio stations which play music have to pay fees for doing so (royalties) which are distributed amongst the various parties involved (writers, publishers, singers etc)

I know all that well, Manlinose.

The point of my (loaded) question, in answer to Mecky's somewhat ambiguous reply post to Brunette's post, was precisely to highlight that, where personal use (i.e. listening) is concerned, there is no difference whatsoever between listening to a broadcast with an old-school radio or via a new-fangled webcast ;)

Bringing the issue of the license into it complicates matters a fair bit, however...but that is for another thread (I'm sure that debate has been had countless times on here already, actually), as we've strayed off-topic a fair bit ;)

On-topic, my £0,02 is that HMV consistently failed to adapt to a changing marketplace over such a long period of time, that it would not surprise me one bit to learn one day, that a boardroom decision was taken some years ago to just keep it going as a going concern with minimal investment, until it could no longer survive. I.e HMV's race into the ground was pre-programmed.

High street survival in the current climate requires two things: rock-bottom overheads (so, e.g. with 'free' staff, charity shops would do well of course), and stock that is either unavailable or difficult to get hold of online (so, e.g. cheap-as-chips Poundland-like items, or second-hand items in charity shops (cheaper and/or safer and/or easier to buy there than from the likes of eBay)).

I will say this for nothing, do you think we can see in the next 5-10 years, Amazon or Ebay stores on the high street where you can actually sort of try before you buy on-line and have the stuff delivered next day type of model, am sure that would take off, even if the price was bumped up slightly for the next day delivery but still a few pounds cheaper than anywhere else on the high street, kind of like proper internet shopping benefits but in an actual store with staff, this is how I think Argos and places like Freemans or Littlewoods should go, catalogue companies with their huge stock piles should be considering this type of model, I know Argos already has stores but stuff can take weeks to be delivered and is often priced above most places, so if it gave the customer something that was too good to miss like rock bottom prices for quality items and next day deliveries, that would be genius.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 16:33 ----------

Mind you, a lot of music artists will still need to sell their stuff in actual stores and sure, younger people may be able to download stuff but where is the bandwidth and point in that when there are far more older people in the world who make up over half the music sales worldwide will still need to go into shops and buy physical items themselves as a lot of older people will not have a computer or device, this means that the music industry needs to seriously get together with governments all over the world and sort this problems before even the music will stop being produced hence nowhere to sell their products, so you see, most musicians still need the shops in order to survive it is as simple as that.

hmv in administration , jessops, comet,jjb, mfi, all gone what did they expect:huh:

the internet killed em

the town centres will soon be redundant, flatten em and build houses , if people want on line then take the town centre away ......simples:rant:

hmv in administration , jessops, comet,jjb, mfi, all gone what did they expect:huh:

the internet killed em

the town centres will soon be redundant, flatten em and build houses , if people want on line then take the town centre away ......simples:rant:

It is a bit of a shame, but times change. My last visit to HMV was last Christmas, and I queued for about half an hour to be served. Stuff that. I buy most books, CDs and DVDs on the internet now; cheaper, less hassle, delivered to door. It's a no-brainer really.

In a couple of generations, people will be telling their grand-kids they used to have to leave to house to buy things! The kids'll be using the equivalent of :loopy:

:hihi:

Richard Branson foresaw what was going to happen because of the Internet. Thats why he got rid of his Virgin megastores ages ago.

A very wise business man indeed !

Clever bloke, a lot of people could learn from him.

Archived