Room for independent record stores?

just pointing out that millions of records are downloaded illegally,we all know it goes on ,and its something no one can stop. If a website where you can download illegally is closed down , the site owners open up another the same day. Thats how it is, and i dare say part of the reason HMV is up the creek .

And I bet millions of cars get nicked so can someone come round and nick yours?

And I bet millions of cars get nicked so can someone come round and nick yours?

Cars have security systems to make it as difficult as poss to steal them( although no security is perfect ,and cars do get stolen) , but there is nothing the music industry can do to stop illegal downloads. As ive just pointed out, if a download site is closed down by the authority's , another appears in its place straight away. How do you stop illegal online downloads. ? Near impossible.

Cars have security systems to make it as difficult as poss to steal them( although no security is perfect ,and cars do get stolen) , but there is nothing the music industry can do to stop illegal downloads. As ive just pointed out, if a download site is closed down by the authority's , another appears in its place straight away. How do you stop illegal online downloads. ? Near impossible.

This isn't about the practicality of nicking something but the principle. You think that if someone can nick something easily they should and if something has good security they shouldn't. If your houses don't have good security would it be okay for squatters to move in?

Do you refuse to pay for Electricity supply, how about TV service. You may have a TV license or a sky TV package. If so you are paying for TV programmes which you can't touch.

Keeping loads of records is a bit like watching TV programmes and recording alll your favourites so you can watch them again and again. Just because it is music, new generations will not see it as special like our generation always has, it is just "media" and the "physical blank" whether Vinyl or CD is utterly irrelevent.

Music is more then just something we play it is personal and an extension of our personalities, so we like to actually physically own the music we listen to, unlike games we've completed and films we've watched most folks rarely go back to them time and time again unlike our music, records unlike MP3's have a meaning and are often emotional attachements and a physically item we like to own.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 23:20 ----------

Hence why vinyl sales are now on the increase

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9782000/9782026.stm

Music is more then just something we play it is personal and an extension of our personalities, so we like to actually physically own the music we listen to, unlike games we've completed and films we've watched most folks rarely go back to them time and time again unlike our music, records unlike MP3's have a meaning and are often emotional attachements and a physically item we like to own.

Absolutely.

And I don't have to cancel all other activities to listen to a favourite album, unlike watching a tv show.

Music is important. Music collections are personal. I mix and match vinyl, cd and mp3. My preference is for physical copies though.

I never seem to think to listen to stuff if I've downloaded it. That stuff only turns up by chance, with my ipod on shuffle. I actively choose CD/vinyl albums to listen to.

What's the point in buying a car when I can steal yours?

A foolish analogy.

A more accurate parallel with internet piracy might be "what's the point in buying a car when I can copy yours"?

Except that cars can't be copied in the same way as music tracks or movies.

So while both are forms of theft, in the case of digital downloads, the property being stolen is "intellectual". Or, more accurately, the revenue that that movie or album might have generated for the artist.

Unfortunately, if people have the ability to rip and distribute music/movies, guess what? That's exactly what they'll do.

Archived