Have i got another dodgy landlord?

aidy

All the bills are included in the rent. I have talked to other housemates and they also dont seem happy about the door lock and lighting situation but seem reluctant to say anything. Does anyone know how long i should legally be kept waiting re the changing of the door locks, seeing as i first asked for them to be done just before Christmas? Iv been told it should be maximum 24 hours...its been nearly one month!

That trespass on residential premises is now a criminal offence.

where is he trespassing? he owns the building and its open to communal areas.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 19:22 ----------

all the bills are included in the rent. I have talked to other housemates and they also dont seem happy about the door lock and lighting situation but seem reluctant to say anything. Does anyone know how long i should legally be kept waiting re the changing of the door locks, seeing as i first asked for them to be done just before christmas? Iv been told it should be maximum 24 hours...its been nearly one month!

THE LOCK ON YOUR ROOM OR TO THE MAIN DOOR?

If it's a licensed HMO where bills are included in the rent, I always thought the rules differed in that the landlord can come and go as he pleases through the communal areas only as he would need to pick up any post / bills and show new tenants available rooms on a regular basis etc. 1am seems rather odd though.

I take it they are muliple bulb fittings?

Mine in the hallways have 6 bulbs each, 3 have blown and its still nice and light.

Just replaced 2 blown ones in the living room, which has 5 bulbs, wish I didnt as it was nicer a bit darker :hihi:

If hes not leaving you in total darkness then its not so bad, does he pay the electric bill for you? i.e included in rent?

Anyone clarify if multi bulb fittings use the same amount of electricity as a single bulb, or more? Would it lessen with removing bulbs?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 18:13 ----------

Either way it does sound as though you do have a dodgy landlord unless of course the other tenants are inviting him round

You'll only use electric for the bulbs which are working.

Sockets with either missing or broken bulbs won't use any electric.

A fixing with 5 x 60w or 5x 40w bulbs does sound a bit bright but can't really comment without seeing the property.

What do the other tenants have to say?

Gym_rat the door lock im talking about is the one for the main front door, not my own room. Been asking for this to be changed since December. Really worried about security!

Gym_rat the door lock im talking about is the one for the main front door, not my own room. Been asking for this to be changed since December. Really worried about security!

ah, in that case I wouldn`t change it either - could be dozens of keys out there, nightmare getting them all swopped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aidy

ah, in that case I wouldn`t change it either - could be dozens of keys out there, nightmare getting them all swopped.

Dozens of keys with former tenants maybe... all for one lock which wont work with any of the dozens of keys once its changed.

Exactly. Surely its in his best interests to change the main front door lock and give the current occupants all a new key?! Oh and on the subject of tennants, the landlord came in again this morning at 2am to move someone into one of the empty rooms! I know of no other landlord that would move people in at such a stupid time!

Archived