Have i got another dodgy landlord?

aidy

Dozens of keys with former tenants maybe... all for one lock which wont work with any of the dozens of keys once its changed.

dozens of keys for dozens of people who still need to be able to get through the door!

cleaners, plumbers, other tenants for example - does seem the OP doesn`t understand he doesn`t own the house and doesn`t get a say over who walks in the front door.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 06:39 ----------

Exactly. Surely its in his best interests to change the main front door lock and give the current occupants all a new key?!

why would spending a couple of hundred quid and several hours be in his interest?

Oh and on the subject of tennants, the landlord came in again this morning at 2am to move someone into one of the empty rooms! I know of no other landlord that would move people in at such a stupid time!

I know plenty, you may be better renting a property not a room?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

Dozens of keys with former tenants maybe... all for one lock which wont work with any of the dozens of keys once its changed.

dozens of keys for dozens of people who still need to be able to get through the door!

cleaners, plumbers, other tenants for example - does seem the OP doesn`t understand he doesn`t own the house and doesn`t get a say over who walks in the front door.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 06:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by aidy

Exactly. Surely its in his best interests to change the main front door lock and give the current occupants all a new key?!

why would spending a couple of hundred quid and several hours be in his interest?

Quote:

Oh and on the subject of tennants, the landlord came in again this morning at 2am to move someone into one of the empty rooms! I know of no other landlord that would move people in at such a stupid time!

I know plenty, you may be better renting a property not a room?

What and people actual give cleaners, plumbers etc keys for their houses do they? :| oooh I didnt know that, just thought it would be 3 new keys for the 3 tenants. Hmmm yeah if everyone has a key it could be more of a problem.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Exactly. Surely its in his best interests to change the main front door lock and give the current occupants all a new key?! Oh and on the subject of tennants, the landlord came in again this morning at 2am to move someone into one of the empty rooms! I know of no other landlord that would move people in at such a stupid time!

Funniest situation ever :hihi:

Exactly. Surely its in his best interests to change the main front door lock and give the current occupants all a new key?! Oh and on the subject of tennants, the landlord came in again this morning at 2am to move someone into one of the empty rooms! I know of no other landlord that would move people in at such a stupid time!

I am a landlord and I have an HMO , I would not change the locks every time a tenant leaves, last time I changed the locks it cost me about £400 ,for all the locks and the spare keys.

I also live in this property so I also want to feel safe.

Our landlord however doesnt live at the property, im really concerned about him turning up at 2am moving people in! I understand i cant expect total privacy in a shared house but some of the things going on trouble me.

Other than asking him to change the locks, have you spoken to the landlord about the issues? Have you asked him WHY he wants to limit the number of bulbs per room, and WHY he comes round in the middle of the night, and does he know that you and your housemates arent totally comfortable with the situation?

I am a landlord, I change locks regularly but not always after one person leaves a shared house as it causes a lot of inconvenience for all residents, as well as costing about £80 per lock change so I do it when I feel it is necessary, e.g. if departing residents do not return the keys. I provide cleaning to the communal areas, so my cleaner has a key, but other tradesmen would only get a key as and when required.

My residents often remove lightbulbs from communal areas, e.g. when a bulb in their room goes, and they don't replace them, so I usually end up replacing the bulbs taken by residents. Is it definitely the landlord that is removing the bulbs, or could it be a different resident?

I would not dream of calling in to one of my properties after 8.30pm unless there was an emergency or a resident had asked me to call in. I see no reason why your landlord would be coming around so late at night, sounds very strange! If I were you, I would be looking for somewhere else to move to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

What and people actual give cleaners, plumbers etc keys for their houses do they?

are you asking or been sarcastic?

more comman than you think - start here http://www.easylocks.co.uk/full-fb-k...b124b9bd86f568

No i was being serious, wouldn't dream of doing it myself!

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 08:48 ----------

Also don't get how the link to universal keys has anything to do with the landlord changing the locks and needing to get dozens of new keys cut for workmen that you suggested before?

No i was being serious, wouldn't dream of doing it myself!

we hold keys for a couple of hundred properties

Also don't get how the link to universal keys has anything to do with the landlord changing the locks and needing to get dozens of new keys cut for workmen that you suggested before?

chances are if the landlord owns several properties - he only has one key for them all.

I still can`t get my head round the OP demanding that the locks be changed when he might only be there 6 months and it`s a shared house.

Archived