Can you recognise the locations? First action movie, Sheffield 1903

Nagel

The world's first action movie was 'A Daring Daylight Burglary' filmed by the Sheffield Photo Company in 1903. It was a huge worldwide success and the first ever narrative film (ie.told a story), so it's historically important.

You can see it on YouTube and I was wondering how many of the locations are still recognisable? I recognise the Police Station shown at 00:35. It's now the Marco@Milano restaurant on Archer Road and the view is looking towards the Robin Hood pub which can just be seen on the other side of Abbeydale Road. One of the dining rooms in Marco's is obviously the old police cells.

What about the other views? Are the stepping stones the ones in Endcliffe Park near the cafe?

Watch it here -

More info here - http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/443089/index.html

I don't think the stepping stones are spread far enough apart to be in endcliffe park

Are they the ones further up hill at (I think) whiteley woods?

links to more recent photo's would be good. Boy is internetting by phone frustrating for these kind of threads!

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 14:36 ----------

Actually, I think these are the ones I was thinking of,so probably not

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sheffield+stepping+stones&hl=en&client=ms-google-mmkt&gl=uk&tbm=isch&ei=r2f1UI2yEMrP0QWEpoCoCQ&start=300&sa=N#i=11

it was on tv last night

Yeah, I heard it was on The One Show, someone posted the link elsewhere which is how I found out about it. Quite a few of the locations look familiar, but I can't pin them down exactly. On second thoughts I don't think the stepping stones are Endcliffe Park. Are there any in Millhouses Park?

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 17:52 ----------

Here's the link to the One Show on the BBC iPlayer. The item starts at 15:05 and they claim the burglary scene was shot at a pub, looks like the Robin Hood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q198n/The_One_Show_14_01_2013/

yes all those scenes are millhouses park, abbeydale road at millhouses, and the station which used to be on Archer road. Probably all the filming was done within a few hundred yards.

Are you sure the pub at 16:20 in the One Show is the Robin Hood? It looks like the Prince of Wales at Ecclesall to me, but I'm not convinced that it's the location used in the movie.

And where is the lane in the woods? It looks like maybe Brincliffe Edge, or it could be what Springfield Road (or Carterknowle) looked like prior to development.

The Millhouses Station building is still there, but a private house now.

Hello,

The "police station" was at the Millhouses end of Archer Road. It was still in use as a police station when I was young.

The building you see in the distance -across the road junction- is the pub at the bottom of Millhouses Lane.

Regards

The train station is the one on Archer road you can see Hutcliffe woods in the back ground and the bridge over Archer road, the river will be in the park or maybe under the bridge the house looks like it could be up near the Robin hood pub when they run out of the police station they run towards the railway station but there was not many houses in that area like that at the time so I would say the burgled house is probably over near the pub.

Archived