Should we make our children to leave home?

At what age is it normal for children to leave their parents home. Is it 20, 25 or is it 30? If they have not left home by the time that they are 30 can we safely say that we are stuck with them? Are they simply waiting for us to die so that they can then take over our house?

Are we doing them an injustice by not encouraging their independence? Do they need their independence to enable them to grow? Is it our responsibility to allow them to stay with us for as long as they wish since we chose to bring them into the world.

Personally I have a child at home who is late twenties and never even considers moving and I am wondering if I am doing the right thing in not encouraging her to leave the nest.:(

I always encourage my child to have there own independence although they know I will always be there to support them ever life throws at them .I now say you live in my house and its my rules ,but a child know when they are onto a good thing

I`m dreading the day they leave home but they know they have a safe haven and when I`m gone they are set up for life and mortgage free

did you encourage him to learn to walk? to ride a bike?

to better himself in school?

to get a decent job?

you have been encouraging him to do things all his life. continue that.

give him a months notice 8-)

It is a she, not a he and it is not easy today to get somewhere to stay.

The bigger questions is that is your child being sensible, and helping in the house, and saving money so they can one day get their own place; or is your child taking advantage, going out all the time, spending all their money, and has no ambition beyond staying with you?

They are two very different positions.

The bigger questions is that is your child being sensible, and helping in the house, and saving money so they can one day get their own place; or is your child taking advantage, going out all the time, spending all their money, and has no ambition beyond staying with you?

They are two very different positions.

She never even mentions moving. She helps out a little in the house but does not appear to have any plans to move. She does spend all her money and I even helped her pay for a holiday abroad earlier in the year. It is difficult for me to air these views as it is my daughter.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 16:19 ----------

true

have you raised a young adult or an old child?

She has a very responsible job that does not pay very well. She is very much an adult, but an adult who seems to like home comforts. I think that the housing situation must come into the equation.

Archived