Being kicked out because landlord is selling..

Is it normal practice for letting agents to expect tenants to show prospective tenants around? When I was leaving my last flat, I had two viewings, one was with the estate agent (although she never introduced herself) and the second was a man who came alone, which I was a little uncomfortable with. I will definetly question this next time I move.

I will definetly question this next time I move.

There's nothing to question really, you either choose to allow them to do their viewings while you are still there or you don't. The only question to ask the landlord or agent is... If I give you permission to do viewings during my tenancy, what's in it for me? I find it comical that they even get their tenants to do the viewings for them, you couldn't make it up.

Is it normal practice for letting agents to expect tenants to show prospective tenants around? When I was leaving my last flat, I had two viewings, one was with the estate agent (although she never introduced herself) and the second was a man who came alone, which I was a little uncomfortable with. I will definetly question this next time I move.

It would be normal for the letting agent/landlord to accompany any prospective tenants... but that isn't what is happening here... unless I'm reading it wrong the current owner is SELLING the property and expecting Llamatron be available for the estate agent in charge of the selling to be in when they come around with prospective buyers.

jb

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 19:06 ----------

T's rights are wholly unaffected by L's sale. T is in precisely the same position with L2 (purchaser) as with L1 (vendor).

So to be clear, llamatron doesn't have to move out if he doesn't want to?

jb

There's nothing to question really, you either choose to allow them to do their viewings while you are still there or you don't. The only question to ask the landlord or agent is... If I give you permission to do viewings during my tenancy, what's in it for me? I find it comical that they even get their tenants to do the viewings for them, you couldn't make it up.

I didn't mind them doing viewings whilst I was still living there, but I expected them to send someone to accompany the person viewing, not to expect a woman on her own to let a total stranger into her home and show them around :suspect: It just seems like laziness on their part.

I didn't mind them doing viewings whilst I was still living there, but I expected them to send someone to accompany the person viewing, not to expect a woman on her own to let a total stranger into her home and show them around :suspect:It just seems like laziness on their part.

Time and money saving to be honest.

The thing is I don't want an estate agent (who I have no contract with as it is a different company to my letting agent) to show random people around my house.

Bearing in mind we have not terminated the tenancy do we even have to allow people to view. We are still paying to rent our house with no discount?

We have not been given notice either. I will check the contract to see if there is a clause on viewings.

It wouldn't matter if there was, they cannot enter if you don't give them permission if it is a single let property on a standard AST agreement. But if you are going to be moving out soon anyway, time to negotiate. They can do viewings for last months free rent etc. Be creative.

Unless it was in the contract I wouldn't accept any viewings. I don't see why you should show people round the house. You are doing their job and while you rent it, its for your exclusive use.

This is an extract from ome of my tenancy agreements

To permit the Landlord and/or the Landlord's Agent at all reasonable times in the daytime within the last six weeks of the Tenancy (howsoever determined) after reasonable notice to the Tenant to enter into and upon the Property to view the same together with prospective tenant(s) purchaser(s) occupier(s) and their agents and to permit the erection on the Property of a sign indicating that the Property is available for letting or for sale

If you have not given notice, then he or is agent have no legal access to your property.

He may be able to sell it provided it does not affect your tenancy.

Otherwise he has to give notice for you to leave.

Notice by either party can be given

(another extract from one of my tenancy agreements)

The Assured Shorthold Tenancy created by this Agreement:

(i) May be brought to an end before the expiration of the term by one months notice in writing by the Tenant to the Landlord or the Landlord's Agent given at any time after five months of this Agreement have elapsed

(ii) May be brought to an end before the expiration of the term by two months notice in writing by the Landlord or the Landlord's Agent to the Tenant given at any time after four months of this Agreement have elapsed and the Landlord hereby notifies the Tenant that possession of the Property may be recovered by the Landlord as defined in the Housing Act 1988 (as amended 1996)

Please check your contract as it may differ from the above.

If in any doubt, contract the CAB

So, if the landlord has given you 2 months notice to leave, then he can make reasonable request to view your (or his) property.

There may or may not be - but the landord or agent has to give "reasonable notice" and you have to agree to it.

What I do with my tenants is tell them I want access for a viewing, that I appreciate it is an intrusion of privacy and if they agree I'll be happy to rebate 50% of the last months rent when I return the deposit afterwards. If they don't want to agree than that's also OK. Most times they are quite happy to do this, I think that's a fair solution all round. You could try proposing that to the agents?

Regardless of what they say though you should insist on being there, that way no one can accuse anyone else of impropriety.

This is the most sensible post.

Surely it's a 2 way thing, when prospective tenants are looking to rent I presume in a lot of cases they view whilst there is still a tenant there, with your landlord now looking to sell as said above you may get a reduction in rent whilst you look for somewhere else, it could take some time for the landlord to find a buyer therefor giving the current tenant chance to save, whilst viewing other properties ( which may or may not have tenants in at the moment )

Archived