Horse dna found in beefburgers

Where horse is eaten in Europe as purpose bred meat it is more expensive than beef.more like the price of veal.

If it is being used as a cheap substitute in processed meat that tells me all I need to know about the quality.

Spot on. Predictably the source is ultimately Romania, I don't want to eat anything from Romania, let alone horse meat of unverifiable provenance. Given we are in the EU one of the few advantages of the bureaucratic red tape should be food labeling is accurate, add in nations like Bulgaria and Romania to the mix and that advantage is seemingly removed.

Spot on. Predictably the source is ultimately Romania, I don't want to eat anything from Romania, let alone horse meat of unverifiable provenance. Given we are in the EU one of the few advantages of the bureaucratic red tape should be food labeling is accurate, add in nations like Bulgaria and Romania to the mix and that advantage is seemingly removed.

Very true. What is the point of having regulation if it can't enforced? In those circumstances it is simply just bad regulation.

A core issue really is the level of trust placed in big business. Why didn't Teco test its own products thoroughly? It has the resources.

I really dont see what all the fuss is about ....... people eat Rabbit and Pheasant ,so where`s the problem with Horse. ?

Yes, exactly. No bute (phenylbutazone) has been traced in any of the horseburgers etc; and no-one's reported being made ill from them. Mere fastidiousness is irrelevant (but, I agree, being sold goods that are not what it says on the packet is breach of contract [and a Trade Description Act offence too]).

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 12:42 ----------

A horse walks into a bar. "Too late" says the bartender, "we're joking about the pope now". "He's right" sighs Richard III

He offered his kingdom for one, mind.

ive said before ill say it again, there's two points to it

1 - people like to know what they're eating, if they wanna eat horse they buy horse not beef

2 - if the authorities didn't know it was in there then they don't know if its suitable for human consumption, could have drugs or diseases in it

Exactly.

Its because Tesco and others were duped by their suppliers believing they were buying Beef when they were not. We don't know what kind of horse meat it is or what chemicals are in it.

True it is dragging on a bit but who knows how many other supermarkets have been buying meat from suppliers assuming it was beef when it wasn't. I doubt any supplier would use meat that was full of chemicals that were lethal to humans but these suppliers have lied already about the contents of what they sell so who can trust them without investigating in depth.

Horse meat itself is fine but consumers want to know what they are buying its that simple.

Archived