John Smith's Smooth. Strength goes down. Price goes up.

Well if there was a deterioration in quality would you really expect the brewery to publicise the fact?

One of my late uncles worked at whitbreds and part of the process was to water the beer down to the customs gravity level so in effect every pint of beer brewed in this country will have had added water.

It's an old and well used trick by brewers to make money. Stella, Old speckled hen, Stones best. All beers that have dropped in ABV in recent years.

Drink real and drink local, Bradfield, Kellham island etc etc

A good plan and one that I intend to carry out shortly. I'm off for some Spire tonight. They actually market a beer called Joan Smythes Extra Rough. I doubt that they will feel the need to water it in sympathy to John Smiths.

One of my late uncles worked at whitbreds and part of the process was to water the beer down to the customs gravity level so in effect every pint of beer brewed in this country will have had added water.

Well actually they don't. For the last couple of decades duty is paid on the alcohol strength declared by the brewery. But watering the beer probably explains why Whitbread no longer brews beer and the brewery has been demolished.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 20:58 ----------

Most decent firms add water at the start.

That way its up to the customer to turn it from beer into pyzz.

Well actually they don't. For the last couple of decades duty is paid on the alcohol strength declared by the brewery. But watering the beer probably explains why Whitbread no longer brews beer and the brewery has been demolished.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 20:58 ----------

That way its up to the customer to turn it from beer into pyzz.

Which brewery? The one on Bridge Street is still there. I'll always remember the smell of malt when I was a kid.

Personally, I don't drink to get drunk, I rarely have more than 4 pints (usually 3). I go out mainly to see friends and listen to records.

Which brewery? The one on Bridge Street is still there. I'll always remember the smell of malt when I was a kid.

Personally, I don't drink to get drunk, I rarely have more than 4 pints (usually 3). I go out mainly to see friends and listen to records.

The brewery went years ago and has been replaced by new developments. All that remains of Whitbreads (Tennants) is the old Lady's Bridge Hotel and a few of the brewery offices.

It's an old and well used trick by brewers to make money. Stella, Old speckled hen, Stones best. All beers that have dropped in ABV in recent years.

Drink real and drink local, Bradfield, Kellham island etc etc

here here. forget the national chemical filled " beer" drink real ale in real pubs. sheffield is a mecca. give it a try.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived