Are You Still A Tad Worried About Eating Eggs?

I liked eggs as you do, but I have to watch it now I have one now and again, it's moderation Swami, as I was told one now & again won't harm me :)

I understand the need for moderation and would enjoy having one now and again. Unfortunately the smallest quantity I think you can buy is a half dozen which means some will go off since I live on my own.

Reminds me of the old joke where the guy goes in the shop and goes to the till with 1 egg, 2 rashers of bacon, a small tin of beans and a small loaf. The young girl on the till says, "I bet you live alone don't you." "Yes but how did you know that?" says the man..."Oh I get it, it's the individual portions isn't it." "No," says the girl, "It's because you're an ugly old bugger."

Do you think Free range eggs come from

A) hens running around a farm, living in a barn with a barn and fed on seeds etc

or

B) Buildings where 9 hens occupy every square metre with less than half a metre of headroom for each floor, and access to a 51% vegetation covered patch the size of a football pitch for every 2000 chickens. Fed on the same food as battery hens.

I love eggs but the view of too many is that free range eggs have anything to do with some kind idyllic and rustic farm -this is a myth. Factory farming methods are used to produce the vast majority of free range eggs. Factory farming is not a bad thing.

It's for this reason my eggs come from the local farmyard. The farmer gives you a tray and tells you to find your own eggs. That's a bit more free range....

You have to check them on a lamp though to be sure you don't have any that are incubating.

Archived