Uk vs europe why oh why??

The roads in France are good, but the question is what are they not spending the money on if they're spending it on the roads...
They are spending the money on everything the UK does, and more. Whereby their current cashflow "issues", which have finally caught them up. Big time.

Also, in many areas of France the climate is more benign that it is here, so maybe they don't get the same levels of frost damage. There is also a culture thing of not using a car to get the 200 yards to the local shops, which is endemic here, so wear levels generally are probably lower.
I disagree, perplexed.

There is no region of France where the climate is more 'benign' than in the UK, save perhaps relative to the farther reaches of northern Scotland.

A sizeable portion of France is deep within the Continent and sees vastly more seasonal variation and temperature amplitude than the UK does (I'm talking -20C at night in winter, to 42+ C daytime in summer). The UK by and large benefits from the dampening effect provided by its oceanic climate.

As a regular driver here and on the Continent, particularly France and Benelux (x2 per year), I know exactly what the OP is on about. At a guess, after a few years of observation, I'd put it down to (i) differing standards (of surfacing which contractors have to provide) and (ii, related to i) profitability (lesser materials, operations, etc. in UK).

I really don't subscribe to the "heavier traffic in the UK" argument. It is logic, but in my experience does not bear scrutiny in practice (a section of free motorway which I know like the back of my hand, the A31 between Luxembourg and Nancy, which has long held the record for heaviest traffic volume in Western Europe, is better, and wears better, than the M1 - by some margin). Alternatively, it's just the result of better ongoing maintenance (with periodical surface treatment and whatnot), in opposition to the UK's seemingly ad hoc approach (leave it alone until it breaks, then patch it, then patch it again, then patch it again, then...then get a £1BN PFI monstrosity together and start again).

Horse for courses, in the end.

Thread title is a bit misleading, though. I had a feeling it would be about Cameron's impending speech and the UK's velleities of breakaway from the EU.

Yes the roads in France are quite good, even the roads miles away from the tolls that are right out in the farming area's are quite good.

Roads in Italy are great too. Ours have become so bad because its become fashionable for people and councils alike to hate cars and they are so short sighted they allow our roads to become a mess.

The roads in France are good, but the question is what are they not spending the money on if they're spending it on the roads...Also, in many areas of France the climate is more benign that it is here, so maybe they don't get the same levels of frost damage. There is also a culture thing of not using a car to get the 200 yards to the local shops, which is endemic here, so wear levels generally are probably lower.

As above also, it's a big place and the roads just don't get the hammer they do here, particularly away from major populations centres.

Refugees,immigrants and asylum seekers.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 19:33 ----------

Well with the snow and ice i saw in france and belgium it was the same levels as here, so no difference, tho im sure someone will say its different snow frost to the uk!!

It could be polystyrene, instead of frozen water particles,maybe.

Refugees,immigrants and asylum seekers.

Wrong - France has plenty refugees, immigrants and asylum seekers.

They have higher income tax. They also earn a huge amount from tourism. They don't always tarmac all the back wacks in villages - in fact I know of a road alongside a big leClercs supermarket which is just rolled hardcore.

Oh, and the French spend most of their money on French produced goods.

Archived