Housebuilding at lowest level since the 1920's!

You still having disproven it. You might well be (technically) right but I'm taking issue with your argument that doesn't prove that you are.

Here's a bit more background on the claims anyway:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/28/coalition-preside-level-house-building

Not exactly a pack of lies, more a stark warning based on research by a CONSERVATIVE think tank. ;)

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 20:00 ----------

The 1930s actually saw an explosion in levels of private house building and ownership.

Keep trying

You probably should read your own links. You seem to read words like could as though it happened.

I should point out that house building actually stopped in the uk during ww2. That was early 1940s.. part way through this period between 1920s and now.

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/clegg-pledges-225m-to-build-49000-stalled-new-homes/8639086.article

That's a great argument for more house building don't you think?

Ignore her, many people categorically proved gym rat wrong on the other thread and now she’s embarrassing herself further by trying to do the same on this thread, ego's dented and she can't accept when she's wrong.

Ignore her, many people categorically proved gym rat wrong on the other thread and now she’s embarrassing herself further by trying to do the same on this thread, ego's dented and she can't accept when she's wrong.

gym_rat is a girl?

:(

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 20:25 ----------

You probably should read your own links. You seem to read words like could as though it happened.

I should point out that house building actually stopped in the uk during ww2. That was early 1940s.. part way through this period between 1920s and now.

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/clegg-pledges-225m-to-build-49000-stalled-new-homes/8639086.article

Oh dear. You're trying to enhance the argument by using WW2. You're not are you?

Oh dear. You're trying to enhance the argument by using WW2. You're not are you?

Its pretty difficult to ignore if you want to claim this year was the worst for house building since the 1920, you understand that the war years were actually in that period. But as house building is up on what it was in the twighlight years of the last failed administration its not that important unless you are using it as part of a false claim.

Perhaps you should try to post some stats to prove that house building is at the lowest level this decade even.

Heres a good start for you. I know its 2008 but its a good place to look.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NewsandComment/UKnewhouse-buildingstatistics/Year2008/Name,34671,en.html

Home Starts Reach New Low in August 19/09/08

NHBC new house-building statistics show that applications to start new homes in the private sector in August fell to the lowest since their accessible records began.

NHBC's latest figures show that they received 3,720 applications to start new homes in the private sector in August, 76 per cent lower than the same month a year ago (15,661).

Statistics for the three-month period from June to August also continued to reflect the tough housing market conditions. NHBC statistics show that were 25,097 applications to start new homes in the UK in those three months - a 51 per cent decrease on the same three-month period a year ago (51,730). Of that total, 14,665 related to private sector activity (i.e. excluding housing associations), showing a 65 per cent decrease on the same three month period in 2007 (42,071).

Housing association figures for the three months to the end of August revealed an increase in applications to start social housing properties, with starts totalling 10,432 - an increase of eight per cent on the same period a year ago (9,659).

Imtiaz Farookhi, NHBC Chief Executive, says: "Our calendar year to date figures show there has been a 48 per cent reduction in the number applications to start new homes by the private sector. However, the social housing sector is currently showing more resilience to the downturn, with starts for the first eight months of this year totalling 24,825, six per cent lower than the same period last year."

NHBC statistics show new build completions totalled 41,118 in the three months to the end of August this year - 16 per cent lower on the same period last year when 48,861 new homes were completed.

Additional figures for the three months from June to August 2008 show that the average number of daily sales of new homes in the UK was 458, a decrease of 21 per cent on the same period a year ago (579).

Its pretty difficult to ignore if you want to claim this year was the worst for house building since the 1920, you understand that the war years were actually in that period. But as house building is up on what it was in the twighlight years of the last failed administration its not that important unless you are using it as part of a false claim.

Perhaps you should try to post some stats to prove that house building is at the lowest level this decade even.

If you read my posts I'm not arguing that it is. Just pointing out the problem with your original argument (which still remains) and providing background to the OP from the conservative think tank that raised the issue.

No economist compares wartime with peacetime for these kinds of economic indicators. There's no point for obvious reasons. Anyway the Guardian link I posted doesn't even mention the war :loopy:

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 20:52 ----------

Heres a good start for you. I know its 2008 but its a good place to look.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NewsandComment/UKnewhouse-buildingstatistics/Year2008/Name,34671,en.html

NHBC new house-building statistics show that applications to start new homes in the private sector in August fell to the lowest since their accessible records began.

NHBC's latest figures show that they received 3,720 applications to start new homes in the private sector in August, 76 per cent lower than the same month a year ago (15,661).

Statistics for the three-month period from June to August also continued to reflect the tough housing market conditions. NHBC statistics show that were 25,097 applications to start new homes in the UK in those three months - a 51 per cent decrease on the same three-month period a year ago (51,730). Of that total, 14,665 related to private sector activity (i.e. excluding housing associations), showing a 65 per cent decrease on the same three month period in 2007 (42,071).

Housing association figures for the three months to the end of August revealed an increase in applications to start social housing properties, with starts totalling 10,432 - an increase of eight per cent on the same period a year ago (9,659).

Imtiaz Farookhi, NHBC Chief Executive, says: "Our calendar year to date figures show there has been a 48 per cent reduction in the number applications to start new homes by the private sector. However, the social housing sector is currently showing more resilience to the downturn, with starts for the first eight months of this year totalling 24,825, six per cent lower than the same period last year."

NHBC statistics show new build completions totalled 41,118 in the three months to the end of August this year - 16 per cent lower on the same period last year when 48,861 new homes were completed.

Additional figures for the three months from June to August 2008 show that the average number of daily sales of new homes in the UK was 458, a decrease of 21 per cent on the same period a year ago (579).

You're still not grasping that the think tank is projecting that Tory policy will lead to the lowest build rate since the 1920s.

If you read my posts I'm not arguing that it is. Just pointing out the problem with your original argument (which still remains) and providing background to the OP from the conservative think tank that raised the issue.

No economist compares wartime with peacetime for these kinds of economic indicators. There's no point for obvious reasons. Anyway the Guardian link I posted doesn't even mention the war :loopy:

The Guardian probably doesn't even realise there was a war. I'm still intrigued to see some one try to actually post anything to remotely back up the claim in the OP.

This would come pretty close if it wasn't dealing with 2009.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NewsandComment/UKnewhouse-buildingstatistics/Year2009/Name,37649,en.htmlf

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 20:57 ----------

You're still not grasping that the think tank is projecting that Tory policy will lead to the lowest build rate since the 1920s.

You're still not grasping that the OP claims that this has already happened.

You're still not grasping that the OP claims that this has already happened.

Yes I am. I've attempted several times now to highlight the additional background information that is projecting the lowest build rate since the 1920s.

I'm not trying to back up the OP, just understand the claim better and put some more meat on the bones. You know, discuss it.

The reason I jumped in is because your way of disproving the OP was with some stats that didn't disprove it in any way at all. You said the thread was based on a pack of lies which you then followed up with a very weak attempt at proving why.

And nobody else was factoring in housebuilding during the war either. No serious economist ever would. Only peactime comparisons are meaningful.

Archived