Fixtures & Results Section

BEDROCK

As the local radio announce attendances, future commentaries etc. Those words are out there in the 'air' - how can that be copyrighted?

Who is going to say where this sort of info came from as it's out there in the very public domain coming from many different sources...... Am I over simplifying?

BTW Frank - I would have responded to chopperfans post had the thread not been closed. The posts were well apart - on completely different subjects - I do think you had been on a wind up mission that day same as a lot of others often are - I've been guilty of biting myself recently - and is he trying to say that Blades fans always agree with each other 100%? :huh: Sometimes - just sometimes mind - you are 100% correct. :hihi:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/shanerichmond/100005087/why-do-football-fixtures-deserve-copyright-protection/

Just a bit of it

The High Court ruled two weeks ago that football fixture lists can be covered by copyright. Mr Justice Floyd said:

"The process of preparing fixture lists involves very significant labor and skill in satisfying the multitude of often competing requirements of those involved. The work is not mere 'sweat of the brow', by which I mean the application of rigid criteria to the processing of data. It is quite unlike the compiling of a telephone directory, in that at each stage there is scope for the application of judgment and skill."

He was ruling in a case brought by the English and Scottish football leagues against Yahoo!, Brittens Pools and Stan James, the bookmaker, for allegedly using its fixtures lists without a licence.

It's generally accepted that you can't copyright facts. However, there are certain exceptions, under EU and British law, for databases.

Mr Justice Floyd said that the fixture lists do not qualify for protection under the EU's Database Directive of 1996 but they are protected by the database copyright in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988).

But funny pl, owt gone off today? :hihi:

Would have been even funnier if we'd got it in in reverse first my friend X:)

No - not heard any news today. TBH had to have my head down - no time to look up all day - UJ still causing chaos !

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 20:07 ----------

Good to be back Laurie, Googl is your friend lol the radio and tv lists are the same copyright to BBC/ITV/Sky ect as are the programs themselves

Let's hope the threads stay entertaining now - getting towards the business end of the season and neither of us can say the results don't matter now.

Stay well. Hope your Christmas with the grandkids and son was lovely- bet it was and your knee was never empty and you were awash with tea! x

Would have been even funnier if we'd got it in in reverse first my friend X:)

No - not heard any news today. TBH had to have my head down - no time to look up all day - UJ still causing chaos !

Last I heard the moves had been put on hold till, a meeting had taken place but then they said still adamant would go ahead x

Archived