Which way to The Lakes on Friday?

We are traveling to The Lakes on Friday and right now the forecast is a little scary, heavy snow around Manchester lighter snow everywhere else

Usually we go M1/A1 to Scotch Corner and across A66 but am concerned the high bit of the A66 might get closed

Snake Pass is sure to be a risk but I guess we could do M1 up to M62 and over to M6 - the M62 isnt a route we have used in bad weather before, wondering how ok it would be

any thoughts / suggestions?

The snake pass closes as soon as they forecast snow, so I would look for an alternative to that part of your journey. Stick to the main roads for as long as you can to make sure you don't get stuck anywhere. The snow could be light, it could be heavy, no one knows yet but its going to be prolonged so expect problems.

I haven’t seen the detailed weather forecast for each area (ie A57, M62 & A66), but all other things being equal I’d personally consider the M62 as being the most reliable way across to the M6.

Obviously, if there’s 12” of snow forecast over the M62, and a sunny 30 degrees forecast for the A66, then I’d reconsider.

The forecast for the North West is absolutely horrendous for Friday and Saturday. They are talking about heavy snow and very strong winds.

Can you rearrange your trip for another time?

you may find it faster to go through huddersfield and join the m62 there rather than go up the m1 and joining the m62 near leeds.

though that depends on the weather, the road from here to huddersfield can be a bit rough in bad weather and your attitude to huddersfields ring road which is a bit of a challenge if you are unfamiliar with it.

We used to go to the lakes via Leeds,Ilkley,Settle, Skipton,Kendle. Trouble is that at some point,whichever way you go,you have to cross some high moors.Unless you go round the bottom of the Pennines and pick up the M6 North of Brum!

It does sound though,as if not only high ground is going to be affected.

Archived