Which way to The Lakes on Friday?

Yup .. Friday ... All weather reports say it's a great day to be out driving on high ground .. Go for it, but don't expect a rescue or I hope it will cost you.

errr, thanks - why would you "hope it will cost you"?

do you dislike everyone or just some people in particular?

it may be tempting fate but in many years of traveling around this country to go winter walking/climbing we have never needed to be rescued (though I have had to help a few others in the past who really shouldn't be out there). We travel fully prepared for the conditions and are more than capable of dealing with whatever happens

if it was your intent to offend, then I suggest you aim your comments towards the people who head off into these conditions without suitable equipment, attitude and training - but they probably wont listen anyhow . . .

You have to understand there are some people who consider that a single flake of snow is enough to stop everything and those who do travel deserve everything they get. These are ther same people who don't understand hillwalkers and think that we should eb charged for the cost of mountian rescue (yet are perfectly understanding of sports like rugby for example).

Pay them no heed, and carry food, water, stove etc in the car in case you get stuck, although I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs I'm sure.

errr, thanks - why would you "hope it will cost you"?

do you dislike everyone or just some people in particular?

it may be tempting fate but in many years of traveling around this country to go winter walking/climbing we have never needed to be rescued (though I have had to help a few others in the past who really shouldn't be out there). We travel fully prepared for the conditions and are more than capable of dealing with whatever happens

if it was your intent to offend, then I suggest you aim your comments towards the people who head off into these conditions without suitable equipment, attitude and training - but they probably wont listen anyhow . . .

I think yours is a fair response I guess, but travelling on our motorway network on any given Friday is always full of delays - listen to all request Friday on radio2 to people sat in traffic all over the country. I've often been in traffic jams the redoubtable Sally traffic hadn't had time to mention. Add what's likely to be heavy snow, expect a very very long journey.

What's wrong with a snowy peak district (as long as your safe !!) for some winter walking ? It will beat sitting on the m6 that's for sure !

I think yours is a fair response I guess, but travelling on our motorway network on any given Friday is always full of delays - listen to all request Friday on radio2 to people sat in traffic all over the country. I've often been in traffic jams the redoubtable Sally traffic hadn't had time to mention. Add what's likely to be heavy snow, expect a very very long journey.

What's wrong with a snowy peak district (as long as your safe !!) for some winter walking ? It will beat sitting on the m6 that's for sure !

Not much use if you like to be over 2000ft though.

Not much use if you like to be over 2000ft though.

Then enjoy the m6 (or other routes) because whilst you might have to best driving skills, best prepared vehicle etc if a lorry has jack knifed, or some other idiot has crashed and the road is shut you arent going any where. The bad weather just increases the odds of this happening.

Then enjoy the m6 (or other routes) because whilst you might have to best driving skills, best prepared vehicle etc if a lorry has jack knifed, or some other idiot has crashed and the road is shut you arent going any where. The bad weather just increases the odds of this happening.

You've no sense of adventure. :D

thanks folks, and yes it seems good (to me at least) to have a sense of adventure - even on a relatively short Motorway journey in the UK

If we do find ourselves trapped on a Motorway overnight somewhere then so be it - so long as it doesnt drop below -20C our stove and Vapalux should be fine. And its not every day you can have that sort of adventure

checked with Met Office and it looks like the M62 should be fine all day, but you can't avoid the risk of other bad stuff happening - its like Ed Moses said (I think it was him), "If you can control it then there aint no use worryin cos you can control it. And if you can't control it there aint no use worryin cos you can't control it"

update - packed and on or way - wahoo :)

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 20:08 ----------

well we are back and nothing terrible happened

easy journey on quiet Motorways with one little flurry of snow near Preston. Tried cutting the corner through Huddersfield on the way back and it really wasn't worth the hassle

The Lakes was actually not that snowy, Keswick had none at all. Best walk was in Langdale on Saturday, it was stunning with plenty of snow and ice. Pots of tea in front of the log fire in the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel was very civilised :)

Archived