First HMV and now Blockbuster

This is probably one of the few businesses where you could see what was coming years before it did. They had so long to adapt and become digital leaders. It's so embarrassing.

Quite ironic considering their refreshing business practices put lots of old independent video shops out of business!

Quite ironic considering their refreshing business practices put lots of old independent video shops out of business!

Quite. But I'm not sure they had refreshing business practices, I thought they just saw a fast move into a profitable marketplace and immediately dominate by stocking new release titles in volume where the independents couldn't.

Well its much the same as the superstores putting small shops out of business.

Just like Tescos etc, Blockbuster was once a small independent store that got its customer service right and profited from it. I don't subscribe to this concept that these stores put others out of business. We put them out of business by way of our shopping habits and they put themselves out of business by failing to provide services and products we want.

so they couldn't or wouldn't be helped by their own company? :o

Legally two different companies, UK probably pays to use the Blockbuster name or something.

It didn't go into detail, but I think UK Blockbuster wanted to just use and all US Blockbusters on-line service - instead of creating their own.

Obviously they couldn't strike a deal.

---------- Post added 29-10-2013 at 17:37 ----------

They did try to get into the online rentals by post business a few years ago, couldn't really compete with Lovefilm, despite having shops as well. It would've needed a lot of investment to turn them into a successful online business.

IIRC their mail service was crap because:

1: It was more expensive than LoveFilm

2: You couldn't return the disc to a store, or get one from a store

I remember years ago becoming a member of Blockbusters at Darnall, think I only went in twice as every-time got the feeling they thought they were superior. In other words we mortals should be happy they'd decreed we could join their happy band. I'm going back 30 years now but used to love Ronian video on City Road, and the one just across road from Noah's Ark at Intake.

I remember years ago becoming a member of Blockbusters at Darnall, think I only went in twice as every-time got the feeling they thought they were superior. In other words we mortals should be happy they'd decreed we could join their happy band. I'm going back 30 years now but used to love Ronian video on City Road, and the one just across road from Noah's Ark at Intake.

i used to go to the little video shop on city road when i lived on there 88 ish, local one at woodhouse on beighton road, and a big one down the bottom of the moor i remember, cant remember if that was blockbuster or not

Shame they couldnt learn from HMV and embrace change. Why would anyone go to a movie store when you can download (legally online) anything you want without getting off your hiney???

when did hmv embrace change??

isnt it still more expensive, and a crapper online experience than the rest?

Archived