Lotto is changing: Going up to £2 per ticket.

It is actually very simple mathematics.

for every pound ticket bought..

50p goes to prizes

28p to good causes

12p government

5p to retailer

5p to Lottery organiser to cover costs and profit.

So on average if you spent £10 on lottery tickets you would expect to get £5 in prizes.

for every 2 pound ticket bought

100p goes to prizes

56p to good causes

24p government

10p to retailer

10p to Lottery organiser to cover costs and profit.

So on average if you spent £10 on lottery tickets you would expect to get £5 in prizes.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 20:15 ----------

You are wrong.

Just because half of the money is paid in prizes, doesn't mean each person can expect half their money back.

You are ignoring the fact that not every ticket wins a prize.

The price may be going up, but maybe you'll get more for your money?

Instead of having to choose 6 numbers and a bonus from a mere 49, perhaps they'll increase the choice and you'll be able to choose anything from 1 to 99. :hihi:

My head is about to blow up already so please don't confuse any more by working those odds out! Isn't there more chance of getting no numbers than getting one? As things stand at the moment.

The odds of winning are not halved by buying 5 tickets rather than 10 tickets.

If the actuall odds are 14,000,000 to 1 of winning and you buy 5 different tickets then there is a 13,999,995 to 1 probability of you winning. If you buy ten then there is a 13,999,990 to 1 probability of you winning. Your odds of winning are better, but only by a very tiny fraction of 1%.

What nonsense is this!?

Doubling the number of tickets (assuming they have different numbers on them, of course) doubles your chances of winning.

Aah but you are going to halve your chances of winning by only entering one draw ;)

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 17:40 ----------

if you buy 14 million tickets what are the odds then ? More Importantly what would your take home prize be ? :hihi:

If you buy a ticket to cover all the possibilities then you're bound to have one that matches the numbers drawn...whether or not you make a profit is a different matter..

The odds of winning are not halved by buying 5 tickets rather than 10 tickets.

If the actuall odds are 14,000,000 to 1 of winning and you buy 5 different tickets then there is a 13,999,995 to 1 probability of you winning. If you buy ten then there is a 13,999,990 to 1 probability of you winning. Your odds of winning are better, but only by a very tiny fraction of 1%.

I think you're wrong....simplify it..if there are 10 different results for an event and you choose 1 then you have a 1 in 10 chance of winning..if you choose 2 then there is a 2/10 chance of you having the right one ie 1 in 5..you've halved the odds or doubled your chance of winning..the same goes for the lottery but with bigger numbers ie 1/14,000,000 2/14,000,000 (1/7,000,000)etc.etc..

For me personally, I'll probably still spend the same as I do now (which isn't a huge amount). So the number of tickets I buy will be halved. We all know the odds of actually winning a big prize is pretty remote. But if you have no ticket, then the odds are zero. As the old saying goes, you have to be in it to win it!

For me personally, I'll probably still spend the same as I do now (which isn't a huge amount). So the number of tickets I buy will be halved. We all know the odds of actually winning a big prize is pretty remote. But if you have no ticket, then the odds are zero. As the old saying goes, you have to be in it to win it!

I've been in it to not win it since it started!

I would expect the number of rollovers to increase if most people spend the same amount as they do now due to the number of tickets being entered in the draws halving.

I've been in it to not win it since it started!

I would expect the number of rollovers to increase if most people spend the same amount as they do now due to the number of tickets being entered in the draws halving.

Actually, that's a really valid point. You're probably right, and lets face it, the only time a lot of people play, who wouldn't normally, is when there's a silly amount of money in the rollovers.

Archived