Should the horse meat burgers be sold instead of wasted?

Should the horse meat burgers be sold instead of wasted?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the horse meat burgers be sold instead of wasted?

• They should be sold.
    • They should be wasted.

Because horses are pets & some people don't like to eat their pets because they form emotional attachments to them. How much more do you want? There isn't a rational reason, only an emotional (and/or religious) one, it's irrational as you say. It's also seen as a 'last resort' meat only eaten in wartime when nothing else is available.

I think many more people consider horsemeat in a beef burger labelled as only containing beef to be unacceptable. I don't consider eating horsemeat to be unacceptable, I'd like to try it, but I don't want it to be sold as beef. Maybe you'd get a better answer from somebody who does find horsemeat unacceptable?

The poll in this thread is strongly in favour of the burgers being sold, so maybe it isn't really that many people that find horsemeat unacceptable.

But this discussion isn't about religious edicts- instead, about why so many people irrationally hold horsemeat to be unaccepatable.

It's no more or less irrational than declaring that pork or shellfish are unacceptable as food, as some religions do.

Personal preferences aside, it is surely more rational either to eat all animal products, or none at all.

What's your point?

The problem with burgers containing horsemeat is that it begs the question of what else went into them which didn't feature in the list of ingredients. Tht said, people who buy nasty cheap 'value' frozen beefburgers are being naive if they think there will have been anything identifiable as beefsteak in them. Most of it is mechanically recovered meat including large amounts of saturated fat and the bits of the bullock people wouldn't normally choose to eat, including the testicles.

Even minced beef which you buy to make your own burgers with, can contain a certain percentage of 'other' stuff. Wy do you think it is so much cheaper than fillet of steak?

If the supermarkets stocked horse meat along side beef, pork etc and it wasn't too expensive, I would eat horse. Apparently it is much leaner than beef and tasty too.

Also I'm fed up of Red Wings horse sanctuary sending me leaflets asking me for money, there'd be no need for horse sanctuaries if we just ate them when they were no longer useful.

Also I'm fed up of Red Wings horse sanctuary sending me leaflets asking me for money, there'd be no need for horse sanctuaries if we just ate them when they were no longer useful.

That would just be all the the old, knackered, tough ones, though!

Personal preferences aside, it is surely more rational either to eat all animal products, or none at all.

What's your point?

Just that- either eating all animals (inc. cuddly ones and horses) is generally objectionable or it isn't.

So why is horsemeat not looked on with favour? Horses douvres, anyone?

Just that- either eating all animals (inc. cuddly ones and horses) is generally objectionable or it isn't.

So you have become either vegetarian or omnivorous since your last pronouncements on the subject of diet, then?

It is no more rational to eschew pork than it is to eschew horsemeat or beef.

In other words, if you eat beef or horse but not pork, you're irrational.

Agreed?

Archived