Land Rover Freelander

I have had a 1.8 petrol Freelander for almost 3years and I have had very few problems with it, but I used to be a mechanic and I keep on top of any impending problems. The petrol variants do suffer from head gasket failure but once repaired with a new multi layer steel gasket usually give no further trouble, they also suffer with problems with the ird and viscous drive unit so check underneath making sure it has a prop shaft to the rear wheels. Depending how you drive mpg is around 20-25mpg round town diesels are better though. May I suggest you look at http://www.landyzone.co.uk where you will find answers to many questions, but do be warned they can be a money pit at times.

What can you say well first look around the back door the older rover made models rot there also under the wheel arches, go for the auto diesel model, the later models have BMW engines in them and are expensive to repair, nice cars really you have to have the money to run them, get one that has the full service history if you can don't buy equine country ones or ex farmers they don't look after them, my preference is Mitsubishi.

there are many alternatives to the freelander 4x4 that dont have the inherrant problems of the K series head gasket and the weak diffs/viscous couplings.

do a bit of research on the used 4x4 market before you jump in with a freelander.

He's looking at 5 year old models which will be the Freelander 2 they ditched the notorious K series engines for these.

I don't know a car that doesn't have inherent problems.

For the money a Freelander is worthwhile imho,especially as your will be after the k series and viscous changes.

If its had the prop removed don't buy it. I have a 1.8 petrol with the K series engine,its £199 to get it done if the gasket goes.

It cost me £430 for suspension for a Kia in comparison(due to towing).

Don't be tempted to buy anything just because it has 4x4 on it all the locals near with crv's, ravs,jimneys,kias were stranded last year the only vehicles moving were landys and mitsubishis. Many of the "4x4s" are restricted in tyre and wheel size which has a dramatic effect on what conditions it can be used in.

straight away you can get a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Kia Sportage, which dont have any known diff or 4wd issues and are ultra reliable. the Kia is a bit more pricey, the santa fe's can be picked up from 3k for a good one. 30+mpg around town, will tow 2 tonnes all day long, no engine box or driveline reliability issues. a freelander would be the absolute last car on my mind for any towing /reliable use.

Archived