Sheffield Forum bullies

I think you will find there are many folks who have very little else in their lives other than the forum. They try to make themselves look big by posting a dozen times a day and trying to make out they are the world experts on every matter. They are friends with others who have similar shallow lives and often hunt as a pack trying to belittle others.

...I'm glad others have also noticed this. ;)

if yuo cna undretsnd ths yuoll knxw that splleng isnt so imprtnt rlly

On here it actually is though.

There are blind forummers that use reading software that just doesnt recognise some spelling mistakes etc. Hence the ban on text speak.

Everyone makes mistakes though, and I think the ones that try to belittle people because of it perhaps feel a bit inadequate, so do it to make themselves feel clever :(

In an age where access to dictionaries and spell checks is better than ever before, is there really any excuse when it comes to spelling errors? Yes, some people find spelling difficult, but how difficult is it to check a spelling before hitting the send button.

To me, pointing out spelling errors is more an act of pedantry than bullying. Yes, incorrect spelling is one of my little annoyances, but I would never feel the need to point it out to a poster, unless as earlier in the thread, I was joking.

I know it's been mentioned on a couple of Threads within Sheffield Forum but I'd like to know what gives some people the right to tare people down with regards to their comments.

I've been frequenting Sheffield Forum for awhile now and every other time I post a comment somebody jumps on it like a pack animal, trying to belittle me and make me look stupid. The most common pull up on Sheffield Forum is spelling lol, make a spelling mistake and that's it somebody's pulling you over it. I recently added my opinion to a thread about children throwing stones at cars and now the entire point has been lost in favour of some joke(s) trying their best to make me look stupid. My spellings not the greatest my grammer and the use of the written language is crap. But does that mean I don't have a right to an opinion. If that's the case, why stop there let's stop disabled people from commenting or even troll Black or Asian people after all its discrimination still. Also I'd like to know what the moderators are doing (if anything at all) about these Sheffield Forum trolls. When it's clear what they're doing suspend their accounts regardless of how long they've been a member.

I don't comment on bad spelling unless it's so bad that you can't actually tell what the poster is saying, ie when entire words are missing or misspelled so that they read another word altogether. In these extreme cases I'll ask the poster to try explaining what they mean a bit better.

Other than that, I think it's a little petty when threads get sidetracked by spelling arguments over simple errors. One thing that annoys me is text speak (txtspk), which is not poor spelling, just ignorant/lazy spelling, I still don't comment on it though.

Don't let the keyboard warriors upset you and put you off posting. I sometimes find the correct grammar makes people look at little too self-important.

Not all of us could attend University!! :roll:

You don't need to go to university to learn basic English, it's taught in all schools.

For what it's worth Sim0n, I thought your post was very good in terms of spelling errors (I think I only spotted one)

I think those who pick up on often the most minor errors miss the point of this forum. Surely the content of the post is the important thing. Perhaps those who do it simply can't think of anything more sensible to say?

Archived