Sheffield Forum bullies

I'd never heard the term "troll" until I stared to frequent this forum on a regular basis, speaking personally I've always used WUM. Not sure if there is any difference, I know someone will ask, so a WUM is a Wind up Merchant.

We all disagree at some point that's human nature, but I love this forum & I really have had some "laugh out loud" moments with the posts.

Denmonte above describes "oldboy bigots", we have to realise that the older ones are set in their ways and sometimes struggle with the "youth" of today.

Remember, sometimes in age there is wisdom, I can get easily wound up by the younger brigade on here, as today is a "want it now, throw it away tomorrow society"

Long may it continue.

I always thought a Troll was an ugly looking ffrr who lived under a bridge and frightened little kids.

because does it matter? its the internet not an english lesson :suspect:

In some situations it doesn't matter at all whether or not you use standard English spelling, grammar or punctuation - e.g. in a text message to a friend or on facebook. As long as the person/people you want to read it can understand it without a struggle or the risk of misinterpretation, that's the main thing. Some people see internet forums such as this one as a chat room, hence informal, so they write as they speak, or they don't bother to write in standard English. I disagree, and am glad textspeak is banned here.

If for no other reason, this is discourteous because it excludes many of those whose first language isn't English (when you are learning English as a migrant you start with the standard version, not dialect or slang versions), as well as those using text decoders of the kind mentioned above.

On the other hand, there are those whose penchant for correcting others' errors is pedantic in the extreme. They seem more motivated by accuracy for its own sake, rather than in helping others communicate clearly. They should get help.

In some situations it doesn't matter at all whether or not you use standard English spelling, grammar or punctuation - e.g. in a text message to a friend or on facebook. As long as the person/people you want to read it can understand it without a struggle or the risk of misinterpretation, that's the main thing. Some people see internet forums such as this one as a chat room, hence informal, so they write as they speak, or they don't bother to write in standard English. I disagree, and am glad textspeak is banned here.

If for no other reason, this is discourteous because it excludes many of those whose first language isn't English (when you are learning English as a migrant you start with the standard version, not dialect or slang versions), as well as those using text decoders of the kind mentioned above.

On the other hand, there are those whose penchant for correcting others' errors is pedantic in the extreme. They seem more motivated by accuracy for its own sake, rather than in helping others communicate clearly. They should get help.

we're not talking about things like text speak tho, we're talking about things like spelling their instead of there etc

people get the jist of what you meant.

people enjoy pulling people on spelling, not cos they want to help migrants or whoever, they do as has been said to be a bully, a troll, a pain in the ass

personally i enjoy writing words different from the norm, hence words i use like mi, thi, dunt, tho :D

its a yorkshire based forum too, so it should feature yorkshire dialect, which is far from the queens english

Archived