Post Office motor insurance. Is it a big con?

So your named driver claimed on their insurance whilst driving your car? How does that work then? Why are they even named on your insurance if they have another policy which covers them whilst driving your vehicle?

Probably try reading what I wrote rather than making it up. My named driver had a claim for driving her car on her policy.

So again, the details you had given were incorrect. The Post Office, like all insurance companies require proof of NCB. If you say you have 9 years, and can only prove 5 then the original quote is invalid.

The insurance was agreed over the phone. The questions began with what premium have you been quoted, and then the usual ones like named driver, garaged, etc.

The question asked was "Do you have full no claims bonus?" to which I answered "yes" because I did. There was no mention that they had changed their definition of full ncb, and they were an early adopter of the new definition of which I had no knowledge of. It was a trap.

* Their quote came in £20 more than Churchills, but I thought with the £50 cashback I would be better off. I ended up £20 worse off, and very ****** off.

I suspect many others fell for this.

* In my previous post I said it was match current quote and £50 cashback, but on reflection it was just £50 cashback. I suspect their quote being £20 more wasn't just coincidence.

So you didn't give the Post Office the correct details first time around, and then still wanted them to honour the original quote?

No. I gave them the correct details. But those details changed due to an accident caused by a hit and run driver in a car park which involved my named driver and her car.

Probably try reading what I wrote rather than making it up. My named driver had a claim for driving her car on her policy.

Right Im with you now. So a person is named on your policy, and she claimed for an accident in her car, thus making her a higher risk according to the industry.

So I refer back to an earlier point: You didn't give the Post Office the full details, and the fact that your named driver has had an accident will push up the claim.

I have a named driver on my policy who was caught speeding in their own vehicle. I had to declare this to my insurance company who promptly put up the price by £25.

Maybe, I dunno...they already seem to know they can refund £250...that's before the OP had accepted the offer...

Sorry, I'm not explaining this very well...

I think the original po quote is a red herring (a random number).

If the po is a broker, then if they were to insure a vehicle on behalf of the owner with the same insurance company that the owner is currently with then the po would be out of pocket by £25 (as presumably the insurance company would insure the car for the same price quoted to the owner).

But, what I'm suggesting is that because the po supply a certain number of customers to the insurance company, then a further reduction (more than covering the £25) is made to the po by the insurance company.

The question asked was "Do you have full no claims bonus?" to which I answered "yes" because I did. There was no mention that they had changed their definition of full ncb, and they were an early adopter of the new definition of which I had no knowledge of. It was a trap.

A "full" NCB can be wide open to interpretation. Does "full" mean I've never had an accident? Not had an accident for 5 years? 10 years? I don't think they would use such ambiguous language and would state a number of years, but I could be wrong.

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 14:09 ----------

No. I gave them the correct details. But those details changed due to an accident caused by a hit and run driver in a car park which involved my named driver and her car.

Your original post gave the impression that you were quoted an amount to pay, and then you called them back prior to accepting the premium to tell them that your named driver had been involved in an accident.

Either way, this will increase your premium. If the accident was before you took out the policy then they won't be happy with you. Insurance companies routinley share information with one another, so they will always find out if you haven't declared an accident to them, and if that were the case here, then they are perfectly within their rights to terminate your cover, or increase the premium, or refuse to honour their cashback deal.

Your details have changed, so the operator would have to look at your new details and find a quote based upon that. They would ask you to include key cover as it is not part of the standard packages. They wouldn't just "include it".

Not at all. I had a requote from my insurace company. Went back to PO to get a requote from them as they had agreed to match and beat by £25.

The devil is in the detail. Because it is not possible to get 2 companies to offer exactly the same. Just little details like a different excess, voluntary excess, key care, legal cover, how much for you stereo..etc..etc.

What it boils down to is the policy that I was offered by the Post Office had very minor differences from the one my previous insurers had quoted, and no amount of adjustment could have made the policies exactly the same. But the Post Office require you to pay their full premium up front and will refund the difference plus £25 after you sent to them your original renewal quote and after 60 days have passed. But as the telephone operator eventually admitted their offer would very likely not be honoured because of the very slight differences meant I was not being offered exactly like for like. But of course by that time it would be too late to do anything about it.

Not at all. I had a requote from my insurace company. Went back to PO to get a requote from them as they had agreed to match and beat by £25.

The devil is in the detail. Because it is not possible to get 2 companies to offer exactly the same. Just little details like a different excess, voluntary excess, key care, legal cover, how much for you stereo..etc..etc.

What it boils down to is the policy that I was offered by the Post Office had very minor differences from the one my previous insurers had quoted, and no amount of adjustment could have made the policies exactly the same. But the Post Office require you to pay their full premium up front and will refund the difference plus £25 after you sent to them your original renewal quote and after 60 days have passed. But as the telephone operator eventually admitted their offer would very likely not be honoured because of the very slight differences meant I was not being offered exactly like for like. But of course by that time it would be too late to do anything about it.

Hence my post #8...

Archived