Post Office motor insurance. Is it a big con?

Not at all. I had a requote from my insurace company. Went back to PO to get a requote from them as they had agreed to match and beat by £25.

The devil is in the detail. Because it is not possible to get 2 companies to offer exactly the same. Just little details like a different excess, voluntary excess, key care, legal cover, how much for you stereo..etc..etc.

So your quote from your existing insurance company was different to the policy the PO were offering. So as I have pointed out the two quotes have to match for any company to offer "we'll beat that price". You seem to be having a tough time accepting that. Perhaps you are having a bad day?

As the terms and conditions on the website say:

3.Your Car Insurance quotation with Post Office must be on an equivalent basis matching your current cover levels and personal details with your existing insurer including the voluntary excess, but excluding any additional products, instalment charges and fees.

What it boils down to is the policy that I was offered by the Post Office had very minor differences from the one my previous insurers had quoted, and no amount of adjustment could have made the policies exactly the same.

If it were "very minor differences" they would have moved the "very minor" distance to accomodate you. That's what they did for me.

But the Post Office require you to pay their full premium up front and will refund the difference plus £25 after you sent to them your original renewal quote and after 60 days have passed. But as the telephone operator eventually admitted their offer would very likely not be honoured because of the very slight differences meant I was not being offered exactly like for like. But of course by that time it would be too late to do anything about it.

This doesn't sound at all suspicuous does it? The telephone operator admitted that they are unlikley to honour an offer. Yeah ok.

Again to quote the Post Office:

10.If you fail to provide documentation or where the documentation does not meet the qualifying criteria, Post Office will not make any guarantee payback and the policy will continue to be charged at the quoted rate and will be subject to standard charges and fees.

I really dont see you have a leg to stand on. Your documents did not meet the qualifying criteria. Either becuase you told porkies on the phone to the advisor, or you didn't understand the offer.

• 9 months later...
So your quote from your existing insurance company was different to the policy the PO were offering. So as I have pointed out the two quotes have to match for any company to offer "we'll beat that price". You seem to be having a tough time accepting that. Perhaps you are having a bad day?

As the terms and conditions on the website say:

If it were "very minor differences" they would have moved the "very minor" distance to accomodate you. That's what they did for me.

This doesn't sound at all suspicuous does it? The telephone operator admitted that they are unlikley to honour an offer. Yeah ok.

Again to quote the Post Office:

I really dont see you have a leg to stand on. Your documents did not meet the qualifying criteria. Either becuase you told porkies on the phone to the advisor, or you didn't understand the offer.

I understood their offer perfectly well. It was so full of holes you could strain your veg through it.

Archived