Work piling up and stress increasing - what do you do?

I have a more refined version of L00b's theory.

1. Do the important stuff

2. Do the quick and easy stuff.

3. Do the other stuff.

In that order.

I have a more refined version of L00b's theory.

1. Do the important stuff

2. Do the quick and easy stuff.

3. Do the other stuff.

In that order.

I don't have the luxury of being able to prioritise according to importance or difficulty: all my work is dead-lined (immovably so), and necessarily tackled chronologically...subject at all times to how early or late clients provide instructions to actually do it (which is routinely at the 11th hour, despite all efforts to 'educate' clients towards early instructions).

In simple terms - for me at least, unfortunately refinement is not an option :(

I agree with sibon, the key to an easier life at work is very simple- make lists, make as many as you need to but make sure you know what order you will be doing to them and stick to that order no matter how much you hate the one your doing.

Are you the boss, a manager, or an employee?

The answers are different.

Many bosses are stressed because they can't delegate, and they try to do everything.

(One I know is notorious for his behaviour on fishing trips;"trying to screw the bungs into the boat and start the outboard while backing the car and trailer down the launch ramp" was one description.

Managers probably have it worst, as they are often expected to deliver results without being given the resources; "bricks without straw"; I've battled through many a meeting pointing out that with our staff and resources we just can't deliver the results expected.

What a relief when the big bosses castigated us, and sent for a world-class consultant (who charged them several $K!) to tell them that we had not been excessive in our requests for more staff: he recommended 50% over what we'd asked!

If you're a worker, this sounds like a form of bullying. Maybe write a NICE letter to the people over you, explaining what you feel. Consult your union rep; that's what they are for. I know it's hard to do, but you may have to quit the job.

There's always meditation, to help you cope. A psychologist or a religious advisor masy help.

Are you the boss, a manager, or an employee?

The answers are different.

Many bosses are stressed because they can't delegate, and they try to do everything.

(One I know is notorious for his behaviour on fishing trips;"trying to screw the bungs into the boat and start the outboard while backing the car and trailer down the launch ramp" was one description.

Managers probably have it worst, as they are often expected to deliver results without being given the resources; "bricks without straw"; I've battled through many a meeting pointing out that with our staff and resources we just can't deliver the results expected.

What a relief when the big bosses castigated us, and sent for a world-class consultant (who charged them several $K!) to tell them that we had not been excessive in our requests for more staff: he recommended 50% over what we'd asked!

If you're a worker, this sounds like a form of bullying. Maybe write a NICE letter to the people over you, explaining what you feel. Consult your union rep; that's what they are for. I know it's hard to do, but you may have to quit the job.

There's always meditation, to help you cope. A psychologist or a religious advisor masy help.

It's a mixture of all three really. It's more the pressure I put on myself because I want to do a good job. It's the harder road to take as so many people cut corners these days especially in my line of work, also clients want jobs done yesterday so it can be stressful.

Archived