Do you need always need to use L plates when taking driving lessons?

Do you need always need to use L plates when taking driving lessons on UK roads or do you just need them for taking a driving test.

Always always always if the person driving the car is a learner. As soon as the driver is a full license holder you take them off.

Once you pass your test you can choose to have "P" plates. I think i'm right in thinking that the "Green 'L'" has been replaced.

From: https://www.gov.uk/rules-drivers-motorcyclists-89-to-102/motor-vehicle-documentation-and-learner-driver-requirements

Learner drivers

Learners driving a car MUST hold a valid provisional licence. They MUST be supervised by someone at least 21 years old who holds a full EC/EEA licence for that type of car (automatic or manual) and has held one for at least three years.

Laws MV(DL)R reg 16 & RTA 1988 sect 87

Vehicles. Any vehicle driven by a learner MUST display red L plates. In Wales, either red D plates, red L plates, or both, can be used. Plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).

Law MV(DL)R reg 16 & sched 4

You MUST pass the theory test (if one is required) and then a practical driving test for the category of vehicle you wish to drive before driving unaccompanied.

Law MV(DL)R reg 40

That's an interesting thought, assuming you are a visitor to the UK. If you have a license and insurance you can drive on your own. But if you drive on your own with an L plate you are committing an offence and could be stopped. So if you go for a test you (probably) could drive yourself there. Put on an L plate and take the test. Then whether you pass or fail you need to remove the plate before you drive back home.:huh::huh:

I have been driving on the roads here for 4 months and have passed my theory test. I am just wondering if I have to have to fit L plate when I arrive for my actual driving test.

Yeah as per previous poster, if you are a visitor/immigrant to the country and you have a driving license from your home country, you can drive on that for two years (I think) before having to take a UK test and pass.

In which case, you don't have to display "L" plates, as you are techincally a qualified driver unitil the 2 years is up.

Archived