Guy outsources his job gets sack, employers who do it get praised?

Yes, there is. They are called contracts of employment.

I can't help thinking this is an odd world, so if the employer decides to outsource his job to India then it's fine, yet if he does the same it isn't!

I can't help thinking this is an odd world, so if the employer decides to outsource his job to India then it's fine, yet if he does the same it isn't!

Well that's the thing it's not "his" job, it's a roll the employer is paying him to fulfill. If the employer chooses to pay someone else to do it, that's their right provided they pay him the agreed amount to terminate his contract, if he chooses to break his contract by subcontracting without authority then he gets sacked. Fairly simple.

It's more about accountability than anything else. The guy who outsourced his job was being paid to do that job, and any complaints / problems / successes were being attributed to him rather than the people doing the work. In your example of the employer deciding to outsource, everything is in the open. Everyone knows the work is being done by others, and they can be held responsible for their work.

Then there's all the issues with data protection, intellectual property, patents and so on. If some random employee starts sharing that information with an external company to do his work, that's a world of difference to a company deciding to share their confidential information with another company, which can easily have contracts and penalties defined.

Yes, there is. They are called contracts of employment.

With different terms and conditions,hence two rules,one for the....etc.

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 19:23 ----------

Well that's the thing it's not "his" job, it's a roll the employer is paying him to fulfill. If the employer chooses to pay someone else to do it, that's their right provided they pay him the agreed amount to terminate his contract, if he chooses to break his contract by subcontracting without authority then he gets sacked. Fairly simple.

If he is fulfilling rolls is he working in a sandwich shop?

The employer owns the company and sets the rules.

The employee has signed a contract that they must abide by.

If I want to outsource my job I can, I'm self employed.

Think about it old bean.

Interestingly the article says that the employee is no longer with the company, not that he was sacked.

Archived