Guy outsources his job gets sack, employers who do it get praised?

So please explain to me why you believe it acceptable for them to break this contract of employment

They haven't, the contract will include clauses that allow them to make you redundant under some circumstances.

but not for this guy who appears to have done the same thing as they have.

His contract does not allow him to subcontract his work, clearly, under any circumstances.

There is no comparison between the two, they are entirely different.

They haven't, the contract will include clauses that allow them to make you redundant under some circumstances.

His contract does not allow him to subcontract his work, clearly, under any circumstances.

There is no comparison between the two, they are entirely different.

Afraid not, I've just read my contract and there's no mention of my employer being allowed to make me redundant in order to outsource the work to South East Asia.

So back to square one, why is it acceptable for employers to be able to do this but not employees?

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 20:59 ----------

Totally acceptable.

You have a contract with your employer that you both have to adhere to.

Your employer has outsourced some work overseas with a seperate contract that both parties have to adhere to.

No problem if all parties sticj to their side of the bargain.

If you decide to outsource the work you have agreed to do to a third party, behind your employers back, then a problem arises.

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 18:33 ----------

No contract of employment has been broken - the job as it existed has ceased to exist in the UK. Rightly or wrongly this happens all the time and so long as the company abides by employment laws there is nothing illegal taking place.

The guy in question has not done the same thing as your employers have.

Not being funny but why do you think it is acceptable for employers to sack people in order to move their work abroad.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your response so I'll try again.

Both my employer and I signed the same contract of employment which is presumably standard across departments.

In another department they have made some staff redundant and outsourced the work they did to a country in South East Asia.

So please explain to me why you believe it acceptable for them to break this contract of employment, but not for this guy who appears to have done the same thing as they have.

I've never seen a contract of employment where an employer cannot make staff redundant and transfer work to another country. If that is what it takes to remain competitive it sounds like a good plan as it safeguards other jobs by not forcing the company into liquidation.

But I take it you only buy goods made in the UK? What car do you drive?

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 21:11 ----------

Not being funny but why do you think it is acceptable for employers to sack people in order to move their work abroad.

So that they can keep afloat in a global market.

So that they can keep afloat in a global market.

My company made close on £30 million last year, yet it still made a few people redundant and sent their work off to SE Asia, and whilst I haven't seen the contracts of the poor sods now looking for work I'm sure when they signed them in good faith they weren't expecting this.

My company made close on £30 million last year, yet it still made a few people redundant and sent their work off to SE Asia, and whilst I haven't seen the contracts of the poor sods now looking for work I'm sure when they signed them in good faith they weren't expecting this.

Did you know that Ford recently closed the Southampton Transit Van factory and moved the entire production to Rumania, where wages are much lower and a Transit can be built for £2K less. Ford would be fools not to have shifted production because in the world market they have to sell vans in competition to other companies who already manufacture in a low wage economy.

It's a tough life innit?

So what car do you drive. You failed to answer that and I know you like folk to answer questions.

It's a tough life innit?

So what car do you drive. You failed to answer that and I know you like folk to answer questions.

You obviously seem to want to live in this tough world, I'd much prefer fairness was the norm myself but each to their own.

Ford Focus 2003 model, although I fail to see the relevance to the guy outsourcing his work.

[/color]

I was not making judgement on the scenario you posted, merely pointing out that the situation at your work and the case where an employee decided to outsource his workload without informing his employer are totally different and therefore not comparable.

By acceptable do you mean legally or morally?

Employers have the right to do what they wish so long as they comply with employment regulations. That is legally acceptable.

Whether it is morally acceptable is different. Many firms have done this with call centres because they can save thousands/millions by doing so. Not good for UK plc but not illegal.

I was not making judgement on the scenario you posted, merely pointing out that the situation at your work and the case where an employee decided to outsource his workload without informing his employer are totally different and therefore not comparable.

What's different though, the employer does it to boost their profits rightly or wrongly, this guy does it to make more money.

Both are wrong, yet only one of them seems to be being criticised.

You obviously seem to want to live in this tough world, I'd much prefer fairness was the norm myself but each to their own.

Ford Focus 2003 model, although I fail to see the relevance to the guy outsourcing his work.

I never gave an opinion either way. I just understand the real world not this fantasy world you seem to occupy.

So why do you drive a Ford when they closed their assembly plants in the UK and moved production to countries where they could be manufactured cheaper? That's not really showing solidarity with the workers Ford laid off. Don't tell me it was because it was a good deal.

Has any employee ever left your employer because they have moved to a job with better prospects and/or more pay?

Archived