200,000 children worse off because of Tory polices

If they’ve gone into poverty because benefits didn’t rise by much then it just demonstrates that people have been having children they couldn’t afford, not sure how that is the fault of government.

Not really. The government knows what the consequences of its policies are. So it is the fault of the government, in part at least. The other aspect is that living costs are beyond what most people could have reasonably expected 5, 10, 15 years ago when planning families. The goalposts have been moved so to speak.

Families (whether one parent or two parent) have been given tax credits over the last decade or so. They are about to see this benefit stripped away from them under the present government over a period of time. The real problem is that they were led to believe that tax credits were their money....they were never that. But without arguing the pros and cons of it they are about to get a financial education......good luck!

Not really. The government knows what the consequences of its policies are. So it is the fault of the government, in part at least. The other aspect is that living costs are beyond what most people could have reasonably expected 5, 10, 15 years ago when planning families. The goalposts have been moved so to speak.

I agree that living as become more expensive but don't think that is the fault of this government, anyone planning a family shouldn't plan it round the benefits they may or may not receive, they should plan it round their work related income. I also think the way they measure poverty is seriously flawed and doesn’t accurately determine who is actually in poverty, I’m sure billions of people would happily swap places with the poor people of the UK.

I agree that living as become more expensive but don't think that is the fault of this government, anyone planning a family shouldn't plan it round the benefits they may or may not receive, they should plan it round their work related income. I also think the way they measure poverty is seriously flawed and doesn’t accurately determine who is actually in poverty, I’m sure billions of people would happily swap places with the poor people of the UK.

It is all relative anyhow due the the rather stupid definition of child poverty which is based purely on a comparison of a families income with the average. So if the standard of living in the country doubled for everyone there would still be the same number in poverty.

I agree that people should cut their cloth. I think most people try to. Sometimes peoples' circumstances change - a major illness, or something else life changing for example. The thing is none of us have a crystal ball.

Archived