Should we stay in the EU

Should the UK remain in the EU  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain in the EU

• Yes
    • No

When Ted Heath gave a referendum on staying in the as was Common Market, I voted to stay in because I was voting for the free trade not for our country to be dictated to by nonentities in Brussels.(maybe I should remove 7 of the letters in nonentities)

better off out, and the world would be better off without a EU, the sooner it hits the fan the better

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 15:07 ----------

I have, I've even seen people think it would mean expelling all EU nationals and the EU will send all the British home, typically followed by "what are we going to do with all the ex-pat pensioners sent home from the Costa-del-Sol?" :loopy:

give them the money it was costing to keep the immigrant freeloaders, and that will make them millionaires

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 15:13 ----------

So what are you going to do about it?

Given that you pay a bunch of tossers an inordinately large amount to run the country, what are you going to require them to to about it?

If you feel that the people who are running the country are a bunch or worthless tossers, then when are you going to tell them that they are a bunch of worthless tossers?

If you say it often enough and with enough feeling, the idea just might catch on. There was a time when some of the people who ran the country could actually tell the difference between their arses and a hole in the ground.

their time is coming it will be TO THE REVOLUTION OFF WITH THEIR HEADS

VOTE UKIP AFTER 5 YEARS THINK AGAIN

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 15:17 ----------

try imagining an eu without us and germany, where the rest of the countries like greece and rumania had to pay their own way.

If we left the eu and the full weight were placed on germany, they too would be out in 5 minutes and the whole house of cards would collapse.

Lets get real. The eu & eurozone are currently crapping themselves in case greece pulls out.

with us and greece gone the eu is gone

the sooner the better

I think a recent poll showed something like 25% of the electorate would leave the EU no matter what.

I would have thought an irrational dislike of "foreigners" would be one of their main reasons.

nb for a lot of these people a "foreigner" also comes from another part of the same country / county / city / town / village.

Too bad then that such a vital decision on Britain's future could be influenced by bunch of narrow minded xenophobes

Too bad then that such a vital decision on Britain's future could be influenced by bunch of narrow minded xenophobes

I'm not sure anyone from a country who voted in George w bush in twice can start slinging xenophobic accusations like that around my friend. ;);););)

I think it needs to a an honest and fair campaign with as much info as possible. Whether we get that I don't know.

If NAFTA started making a bunch of laws that were imposed on the US would those who objected be narrow minded xenophobes in your view?

You missed the point there. A lot of regulations in the US are governed by NAFTA.

Besides - what kind of example was that ? NAFTA is a prime example of an international body promoting the race to the bottom as far as environmental regulations, safety regulations in the workplace etc. are concerned. The EU, on the other hand, secures us lot the highest standards in the world on that front.

Except in those areas Britain has opted out of.

If we left the EU where on earth do you think all the failed politicians would spend their dotage? I cite Neil Kinnock as an example..

In the House of Lords, as they have done for centuries.

You missed the point there. A lot of regulations in the US are governed by NAFTA.

Besides - what kind of example was that ? NAFTA is a prime example of an international body promoting the race to the bottom as far as environmental regulations, safety regulations in the workplace etc. are concerned. The EU, on the other hand, secures us lot the highest standards in the world on that front.

Except in those areas Britain has opted out of.

In the House of Lords, as they have done for centuries.

You've never heard of OSHA apparently and what makes you think that environmental regulations dont exist in the USA and Canada?

You've never heard of OSHA apparently

Introduced in the early 1970s, when workplace health and safety were regarded as aims to be aspired to, not as obstacles standing in the way of a wider profit margin.

Things had changed a little by 1994, and NAFTA was the embodiment of that paradigm shift in North America.

what makes you think that environmental regulations dont exist in the USA and Canada?

Harleyman, I didn't have you down as the type to put words in my mouth.

Archived