Hillsboro boys club

I remember being enrolled at Hillsboro boys club aged 12 by my dad, you had to be introduced in those days. I think it became a youth club but looks a bit derelict now. If you remember it you'll remember there used to be a white metal sign wrapped around one of the bay windows with the name etc on... I helped Mr Clarke the woodcraft chap to put that up. Mr Clarke had a nasty old Wartburg Knight car which he used to give us lifts to functions in.

Shame its not still going, it changed my whole outlook on life and taught me how to take care of myself, perhaps it was the pugilistic history that got the better of it as the martial arts became much more popular than boxing in the 80's

I remember being enrolled at Hillsboro boys club aged 12 by my dad, you had to be introduced in those days. I think it became a youth club but looks a bit derelict now. If you remember it you'll remember there used to be a white metal sign wrapped around one of the bay windows with the name etc on... I helped Mr Clarke the woodcraft chap to put that up. Mr Clarke had a nasty old Wartburg Knight car which he used to give us lifts to functions in.

Shame its not still going, it changed my whole outlook on life and taught me how to take care of myself, perhaps it was the pugilistic history that got the better of it as the martial arts became much more popular than boxing in the 80's

Yes it did aid your upbringing and it is a shame that it ceased to exist.

Perhaps the world may have been a better place for the continuation of such establishments?

Haaaaaaaaa great days of my youth. Football with Ted Goddard training. Can't remembe rthe name of the guy in charge of the teams though.

Woodwork with Clarkey

Photography can't remember the guys name.

Table tennis and all that.

If you had an argument it was into the boxing ring to sort it out.

Captain Stanley Royle holding court along with his dog spangles (i think).

This was a real club helping to turn youths into men.

Simply the best

• 10 years later...

hello

does anyone know if this club was in an old salvation army citadel building and is it still there?

I don't know sheffield but we have a story of a gt uncle who attended this club in the 30s and played tennis and table tennis and learned morse code which he was able to use in WW2

name of Henry Guest I think he lived in Walkley

any info greatly received

I was a member of Hillsborough Boys Club as a youngster it was a very good set up for lads back in the day as apart from the flicks there was nothing much to do at all but get into trouble!.There was woodworking,metalwork,table tennis,swimming at what is now Wetherspoons bottom of Barrack Hill,football,Physical Training,boxing various interest groups and a café type bar to relax in!.Captain Royal and his lady wife looked after us all,the comment about arguments being sorted out in the boxing ring were true as I found out one night!.At the time I joined I didn,t know anybody and I was immediately picked upon by a gang of five or so,the ringleader abused me verbally in front of everyone over and again,I answered back but was threatened!.This went on for quite some time and even though I moved from one activity to another they followed,then one night I went to the gym and went through skipping ect.,big mouth went to the trainer and said he and I had something to sort out in the ring!.So in we went his first and last mistake,I completely lost it and knocked him all over the shop for three rounds,sat him on his arse bloodied his nose,he looked like he,d been run over by a bus!.Next time I saw him it was "Alright mate come and join us!",needless to say the second word was off in my answer,I had no more bother after that episode!.

It wasn't a salvation army hostel but I believe it was some kind of rest and relaxation place for the soldiers at Hillsborough barracks.
Yes - it was built as a "soldiers' home"; the foundation stone was laid in 1907 according to the inscription on the stone beside the front door. Here is a photo dating from 1909.

Yes - it was built as a "soldiers' home"; the foundation stone was laid in 1907 according to the inscription on the stone beside the front door. Here is a photo dating from 1909.

What a great photo. I wonder when the pointed roof came down. Love that gas lamp, what a shame the street furniture that's there today is so ugly.

..Love that gas lamp..
Yes - it even has LANGSETT RD. painted on one side and HAMMERTON RD. on another; here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

The pointed roof had gone by the 1970s as I remember. An article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 18 June 1908 confirms the date of opening. The Army left Hillsborough Barracks in 1929, and the 1931 Kelly's Directory shows the building as a "boys' club & hostel".

Edited by hillsbro

Yes - it even has LANGSETT RD. painted on one side and HAMMERTON RD. on another; here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo.

The pointed roof had gone by the 1970s as I remember. An article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 18 June 1908 confirms the date of opening. The Army left Hillsborough Barracks in 1929, and the 1931 Kelly's Directory shows the building as a "boys' club & hostel".

And an advert for 'Blanchard's' to boot !