I'm so glad I've got a Range Rover ..

tyres make a huge difference, if you were to put all terrain tyres on a 2wd car it would get further than a 4x4 with road tyres on. I get everywhere on the farm in 2wd cos im using the correct tyres, very rarely does it have to be put into 4wd.

What i hate about most Chelsea tractor drivers is that they believe that there 4x4 means that they can still do the same speeds as when the road is dry. The fact is, is that 4x4 doesnt increase stopping distance and in many cases the heavier vehicle makes stopping pretty poor.

Too true, in 1977 we took a brand new Land Rover with all the expedition addons to the Arctic in winter. The LR had difficulties and ran off the road causing a great deal of damage to it and the local power supply, it had to be rescued and temporarily repairs done before being returned to the UK for fixing. The locals did not have 4x4's, just normal cars but with winter tyres. I used a standard hire cars with winter tyres on all my many winter stays and never had any problems even down to -35c and many inches of snow.

Too true, in 1977 we took a brand new Land Rover with all the expedition addons to the Arctic in winter. The LR had difficulties and ran off the road causing a great deal of damage to it and the local power supply, it had to be rescued and temporarily repairs done before being returned to the UK for fixing. The locals did not have 4x4's, just normal cars but with winter tyres. I used a standard hire cars with winter tyres on all my many winter stays and never had any problems even down to -35c and many inches of snow.

It's a fair point!

In all fairness good winter tyres and a knowledgeable and competent driver should be able to see off anything the weather chucks at them in Sheffield.

It all depends on how you drive the 4x4s an inexperienced 4x4 driver could be worse off in a 4x4 than a normal car,4 wheel drive gives you a vast advantage in the right circumstances,if you drive properly and steady using all the gears and diff lock you can get through any thing,but just thinking you can plow through any thing at speed will result in an accident.they do not handle very good and you can easily loose control of them,and once they start to slide or slip on ice or snow you will course a lot of damage,if you take it steady and use the trucks as they were designed to be used they are far superior in bad weather than any car,the problem is people sit up in them and think they are invincible and can plow past people at speed, most of the people who drive these modern type so called SUV have no idea about how to use the gears and 4 wheel drive properly.

• 1 month later...

Archived