Asda accepting returns of HMV cards bought in their stores

Asda more likely bulk purchased the cards, effectively the responsibility lies with Asda. A nice bit of media manipulation could have it seen as though they were bailing HMV. Wonders how much Asda paid HMV per card?

I'm sure someone will put me right but surely Asda is obligated considering they've not going to sell cards for HMV out of the good of their hearts.

Ok, I've put my cynicism stick away now.:hihi:

Asda more likely bulk purchased the cards, effectively the responsibility lies with Asda. A nice bit of media manipulation could have it seen as though they were bailing HMV. Wonders how much Asda paid HMV per card?

I'm sure someone will put me right but surely Asda is obligated considering they've not going to sell cards for HMV out of the good of their hearts.

Ok, I've put my cynicism stick away now.:hihi:

I say Well done,Walmart-at least Uncle Sam has a sense of fairplay.

I dont see this as anything other than what they are legally required to do. People bought the cards from ASDA ect, so the contract for the goods is with you and them. If HMV refuses to accept them, you go back to who you bought the item from for a refund. The same would happen if you bought a card that didn't work. HMV wouldn't be giving you the money, ASDA would be required to replace or refund.

I dont see this as anything other than what they are legally required to do. People bought the cards from ASDA ect, so the contract for the goods is with you and them. If HMV refuses to accept them, you go back to who you bought the item from for a refund. The same would happen if you bought a card that didn't work. HMV wouldn't be giving you the money, ASDA would be required to replace or refund.

There is no obligation on the part of ASDA or Tesco to accept or refund for purchase of HMV vouchers. They honoured their part of the bargain by handing over the goods in exchange for cash. That is the end of their involvement and equally they are not liable should you be unhappy with something you bought with a voucher bought from them.

I say Well done,Walmart-at least Uncle Sam has a sense of fairplay.

1. Not so much a sense of fair play, but a sense of the importance of customer opinion that a company going bust (HMV) doesn't have to worry about, but a company still trading (Asda) does.

2. There's also the grey area that WeX highlights, that the customer has paid money for a voucher for goods, not a voucher for no goods. I wouldn't accept the argument put by Anna Glypta, and even if it could be tested in court, the reseller still has the problem of customer opinion mentioned above.

3. It's quite possible that Asda have not even paid HMV for the vouchers yet.

Archived