Cleaning a clock.

you want to clean the movement or just the inside of the clock....?

if you want to clean the workings, take them out and dip them in a degreaser, perhaps petrol or some type of thinners..then liberally oil the moving parts with the thinnest oil you can find...

you want to clean the movement or just the inside of the clock....?

if you want to clean the workings, take them out and dip them in a degreaser, perhaps petrol or some type of thinners..then liberally oil the moving parts with the thinnest oil you can find...

Yes that will work but using petrol is a bit dangerous,jizzer or gunk would do the job and less chance of accidents,all work carried out in the open air and it goes without saying no smoking and wear overalls.

think if the clock is either valuable or special to you, this is not the advice you'd get from a professional watchmaker

It is for a neighbour of mine that I am seeking the advice.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 08:12 ----------

Yes that will work but using petrol is a bit dangerous,jizzer or gunk would do the job and less chance of accidents,all work carried out in the open air and it goes without saying no smoking and wear overalls.

I don`t think he will use petrol and he doe`s not smoke.

It's not about what you do, it's about how that which you do is appreciated.

Imagine the following:

You get home (after a night on the ****) and you say to your wife: "Darling! When I gaze upon your face, the hands of time stand still!"

If you're lucky, (and she's daft enough to fall for it) you might get away with it.

If. however you were to say: "God! You've got a face which would stop a clock!" then although you've said exactly the same thing, you score 'nul points'

Archived