If only everyone that was able would clear their bit of road

GR I suppose that you could/can I'm not too sure, but my point is that is path cleared & freezes you can be liable. With some things put on this forum I suppose solicitors could make a fortune.

you`ll never be sued - the path was clear when I left it your honor.

Your welcome:

Here's what Lord Davies had to say:

The Government Whip, Lord Davies of Oldham, told fellow peers in a recent House of Lords debate: “If people totally clear away all snow and return the pavement to the situation it was in before the snow landed, they have done an excellent job. If it is done in a less than complete manner and leaves ice, which is more dangerous than the original covering of snow, it may not be the Local Authority responsible but the householder for having dealt with the pavement.”

and this:

As always with the law, it is not clear cut, but householders can take comfort from the fact that there have been very few cases where they have been successfully sued for snow and ice on their premises"

indicates that there have been at least some successful cases............

Two separate set of facts though. The first relates to public pavements and the second to a person's premises.

Of course not you silly goose, I'm just highlighting how other people with alot more snow than us deal with snow. That is all.

Yes TFH it's unbelievable that such as America & Canada, have tons more than us & deal with it. I know they are used to it as a regular occurrence, but still no excuse for us, closing down after 3" of snow.

I also understand gym-rat, as suing in America is the norm, I remember reading a few years ago of a woman who took her son to Disneyland, and he wanted a pee. She could not get the young lad to a loo in time, so took him round the corner.

Whilst round said corner, she said he saw an actor remove his Mickey Mouse head, and it traumatised him, she was suing for something like 65m.

Now that is silly, but as was said it's America, not sure how she went on.

These :

http://www.personalinjuryclaimsassist.co.uk/injury-compensation-claims/slipping-and-tripping-accidents/slipping-on-ice-and-snow/

would suggest otherwise:

Private Dwellings

Every year people will attempt to clear their footpaths and driveways for ease of access. What needs to be considered at this time is that others also use this footpath or driveway, like the postman, milkman, delivery drivers and friends or relatives.

If you have not cleared this area entirely and ice is left, then you are opening yourself up to a claim for compensation if someone slips and suffers an accident injury. Sometimes attempting to clear the ice and snow, if not done properly can make an area more hazardous, it also gives false belief to the person using the footpath that it is totally safe, when it may not be, therefore causing them to slip and injure themselves

Some people also take it upon themselves to clear parts of the road near their homes to clear some ice and snow, the advice is, do not! If somebody slips over, or an accident occurs where you have attempted to clear, but have not done so properly or made the area worse, then you personally are liable for the injury and a possible claim for compensation can be made against you.

This is part of an advert and may not be entirely truthful.In fact such firms may gain if you do not clear as this may increase the likelihood of an accident,and of course a subsequent claim.

Your welcome:

Here's what Lord Davies had to say:

The Government Whip, Lord Davies of Oldham, told fellow peers in a recent House of Lords debate: “If people totally clear away all snow and return the pavement to the situation it was in before the snow landed, they have done an excellent job. If it is done in a less than complete manner and leaves ice, which is more dangerous than the original covering of snow, it may not be the Local Authority responsible but the householder for having dealt with the pavement.”

and this:

As always with the law, it is not clear cut, but householders can take comfort from the fact that there have been very few cases where they have been successfully sued for snow and ice on their premises"

indicates that there have been at least some successful cases............

I would have thought anybody who can return a surface back to it's original condition prior to snow, wouldn't have just done a good job, they'd have performed a miracle.

Providing reasonable efforts have prefailed in the first instance I can't see how anybody can blame anyone for change caused by the climate.

everybody's innocent until proven otherwise and the burden of proof is on the complainent. Nice work for the legal eagles though!

If there was so much at risk do you think the council would invest in gritting teams.:)

After all they're not above the law.

Not that there is a law against clearing a pavement that I've ever come across.

Archived