If only everyone that was able would clear their bit of road

We'll be out today clearing our cul-de-sac and the road running along the bottom of it. I can guarantee 3 lots of neighbours will be with us. One of us will go along to the grit bin with a wheelbarrow, the 2 big lads will shovel the snow off the road, the other adults will clear the drives & the young children opposite will help by throwing snowballs. We don't moan- we know Amey will keep the main roads clear & we're happy to look after our little bit of the community & help each other.

Why anyone should think it's a big deal, I don't know.

We've only got an inch, don't get carried away. I was out clearing the pavement when it was deep, but it doesn't really seem worth doing yet. The gritters & ploughs do a good job of keeping our road clear, if they can't do it then I wont stand a chance with a shovel.

Not everybody is fit enough to clear snow either, so I did the pavement in front of the neighbours too, the other year when it snowed properly.

I might use a toilet.

If it be my own, one of my friends, or a public one I treat it with respect. With greater respect respect for my own, then my friends, then for the public one..

If I have to pay for the privilege of using a private one, then I have very little respect and consider ****ting on the ceiling getting value for money.

But the roads are public roads aren't they whether you privately rent home or own a home?

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 09:11 ----------

Is that why most council estates are like they are,god help this country if all thought like you.

Yes they expect everything to be done for them.

just been on about this on another thread,, wheres the community spirit gone!!! in days gone by everyone used to be out clearing the roads... i just been to morrisons n bought road grit to help clear the road, i'll be out shovelling n gritting in morning.. everybody justs expects someone else to do it nowadays, so sad how times have changed.

Why clear it? Seriously.?

Fresh snow looks lovely-- its easy to walk on (well easier than the ice that "clearers" leave behind)...whats the obsession with making mini mountains out of it - which then actually hangs around longer.

Don't understand it.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 09:25 ----------

In this case, it would improve your own mobility, and that of your neighbours. It is a no-brainer really. The OAPs get to the Post Office, you get to the offie. All without a broken bone.

But you know all of this, so why the devil's advocate act?

My elderly neighbor would disagree. Shes with me - it is more difficult to get around on the ice that is left when people start to clear the snow.

Walked how from work yesterday - did I slip on the snow? No......did I slip on the path clearing "efforts" of the man down the road- yes!

It's not rocket science is it?

I gritted the pavement outside my house, the ginnel alongside and the road of our cul-de-sac on Thursday evening. I look out of the window now and those bits are still mostly snow free. If everyone had done the same even the minor roads would still be accessible.

It's not rocket science is it?

I gritted the pavement outside my house, the ginnel alongside and the road of our cul-de-sac on Thursday evening. I look out of the window now and those bits are still mostly snow free. If everyone had done the same even the minor roads would still be accessible.

L love a sweeping statement

I gritted our close Thursday night - all clear when we got up, did the same yesterday tea time last night and today you can`t see a single bit of road.

Failed.

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 09:33 ----------

Walked how from work yesterday - did I slip on the snow? No......did I slip on the path clearing "efforts" of the man down the road- yes!

SUE HIM - thought I would get in first!

Archived